• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fuel Fill Is Slow and Wants to Cut Out After after a Fill Up

1996xlt

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Just a little background; I was having diminished MPGs and increased cranking time leading me to a dying fuel pump. As I'm sure it was original to the truck or at the very most been replaced once (although unlikely, I've owned the truck for nearly 100k) I went ahead an replaced it. Triple-checked my connections and made sure it was seated correctly and it fired up first try, but upon my next fill up, it took forever to fill and that lead me to this thread:

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168691&highlight=Fuel+fill

So I think I have an answer to part of the problem, however, after filling up the first time and pulling up to an intersection it died on me as I came to a stop. Starts right back up, but once I got through the turn it started bucking like it wasn't getting fuel... pull over an let it run to make sure it won't cut out on me. It goes away and no longer a problem, until the next time I need to fill up.

I still need to address the slow-fill issue, but after filling up the next time, I pull out of the gas station and it starts bucking again(starving for fuel) for about half a block, clears up and then runs normal.

I've re-checked all my hose/wire connections with the bed on and don't see/feel any issues other than the bucking under load after a fill up...any advice?

I'm travelling for work at the moment so I don't have access to the truck, but its an issue that's been gnawing at me that I'd like to address when I get back.

TIA

Last edited:

HER2702

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
Maybe I can help a bit with the slow fill issue. On my 94 I found that the fuel fill hose was too long at the tank end. When the bed was in place and secured one of the bed crossmembers would push down on the top of the hose where it elbows to the tank neck. This was also the cause of the infamous leaking fuel fill on rangers. Over time the pressure on the hose from the bed would cause the hose to deteriorate and split right at the tank neck. Loosen all the bed bolts and remove the front and center sets. You can then carefully jack the front of the bed up and gain enough room to get to the fill neck and hose. Look at the top of the hose elbow, if you see marks from the crossmember the you've found the problem. If your hose is in good condition cut 1 inch off of the tank end and reinstall it. Watch the crossmember & hose elbow when lowering the bed. If the crossmember touches the hose still then raise the bed again and cut another 1/4 inch off. Work with 1/4 inch cuts until the bed no longer touches the hose. Don't forget to also take the same total amount off the end of the overfill tube (the smaller hose inside the fuel fill hose). If you don't then you won't be able to fill the tank completely any more. Personally I would go ahead and replace the hose. They aren't expensive and it will keep you from having to do this again when the old hose does get rotten. Just check the new hose for clearance at the crossmember. I had to cut the new hose off to keep it from getting pinched.
Of course if you have a couple of buddies with strong backs they can lift the bed completely off the frame while you do the dirty part.

Last edited:

1996xlt

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Makes sense, thanks for the tip.

keden03

Reaction score
OK, I have a similar problem, but my fuel filler neck is brand new. I can't even get a squeeze of the handle without the shut off kicking in. What might the cause be. My old one was cut and duct taped by the previous owner but had no problem filling?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Canadian_ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
there is a vent on the filler neck to letthe air out of the tank as you fill up. Often with age these get blocked by dirt/old rubber and therefor your air is stuck so it tries to come out the filler neck as the gas gets in and makes the gun click. Had that issue on my 86 and 2003 rangers. For some reason my 94 works well

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals