• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

More + camber?

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
94 extended cab 4 wheel drive 4.0. while we have the front wheels off because we're doing a complete refit of the brakes, it was pointed out to me, even though I already knew it. The inside of the very new tires are getting cupped and starting to wear.

Jackstands are under the swing arms so the load is on the springs.
I put a level against the rotors and they both read a slight positive camber.

The tires on this 94, (I'll get the actual size) are pretty big tires at least in my way of thinking. So until I can afford to take it in for a real alignment, it seems some more camber is easy enough to do, I actually showed my friend Hank how to do it lol, Guessing the bigger tires cause more outboard load on the swing arms, and that makes the vehicle squat more?

Pictures coming soon, it's raining tonight

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I don't think tire size would affect camber. It's more a combination of the weight of the truck and the characteristics of your springs. More weight brings the front down and pivots the axle beams up causing more pressure on the inner edge of the tire, whatever size it is. You can adjust the camber by turning the adjustment bushings. But that also adjusts the caster, which I believe is more critical. Better fixes for camber are spacers under the springs or springs rated for more weight.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
I don't think tire size would affect camber. It's more a combination of the weight of the truck and the characteristics of your springs. More weight brings the front down and pivots the axle beams up causing more pressure on the inner edge of the tire, whatever size it is. You can adjust the camber by turning the adjustment bushings. But that also adjusts the caster, which I believe is more critical. Better fixes for camber are spacers under the springs or springs rated for more weight.

Still raining... Anyhow these tires are pretty big and they are definitely wearing on the inside even though they are still practically new, so I need to do something to save these tires even though I'm going to rotate them to the back.. it's so very easy to turn the camber bushings and way way easier then putting spacers under the springs.

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
I have the same issue now that I've put some miles on my new car Skyjacker springs and things have settled in. I have some aluminum discs that I plan to make into spacers. But building my shop is taking precedence right now.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Still raining... Here's what I have one side it's definitely different from the other but they both have positive camber. I'll get the truck leveled out during the week and see if we can determine how much each one is tilted the right side doesn't seem to be showing any inside tire wear, at least is not as much as the one on the left.

Right side, good
left side, bad

Notice the top snap rings are missing, looks like a unfinished ball joint job lol. I can't help but notice the little things because I'm always detail-oriented with building and restoration of old boats,

Last edited:

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
Have you read through the tech articles about ttb geometry and alignment? Good how-to on aligning it yourself. Very good explanation about what happens and why.

Especially if you have some rainy day time for reading. [emoji846]

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Have you read through the tech articles about ttb geometry and alignment? Good how-to on aligning it yourself. Very good explanation about what happens and why.

Especially if you have some rainy day time for reading. [emoji846]

Sure did! it's how we were able to the front end of my 93. set the bushings and the front tires are not showing any signs of cupping or -+ camber

It's really quite easy to get them close. I was just wondering it larger tires make a difference.. reading on that I seems they can require different settings.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"

You are right that tire size should not affect camber. However, if different wheels, that have a different offset, are used with the larger tires it can affect camber.

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
You are right that tire size should not affect camber. However, if different wheels, that have a different offset, are used with the larger tires it can affect camber.
That makes sense. Wheel offset could increase or decrease how much "lever arm" extends past the springs, thereby changing how much spring force is needed to bear the vehicle weight against that lever arm (axle beam/wheel combination).

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Yes, especially on the ttb, the swing arms act as levers against the load of the truck so, if you use a wider tires, more offset, or wheel spacers, it's going to change the load and thereby change the camber that should 0 or slightly positive according to all the stuff I read, and it's still raining
That makes sense. Wheel offset could increase or decrease how much "lever arm" extends past the springs, thereby changing how much spring force is needed to bear the vehicle weight against that lever arm (axle beam/wheel combination).

Last edited:

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Decided on the K.I.S.S. approach. Turned the camber bushing to the same angle as the one on the passenger side both rotors are now a half a bubble positive which I think we did on my other truck and it worked out fine,

My only question is, should the slots mirror each other or be opposite and locations right to left? Yes I know it affects Caster a little bit and also affects toe in.

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
I wouldn't be overly concerned with comparing bushing orientation between opposite sides. There could be differences in other parts that require different settings. Mounting holes for brackets and things could be slightly off, something could be bent or worn, etc. The important thing is getting the alignment measurements where they need to be for safe driveability and minimal wear.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
I'm actually quite surprised there's almost no looseness in this front end, obviously the ball joints have been done.
I wouldn't be overly concerned with comparing bushing orientation between opposite sides. There could be differences in other parts that require different settings. Mounting holes for brackets and things could be slightly off, something could be bent or worn, etc. The important thing is getting the alignment measurements where they need to be for safe driveability and minimal wear.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Well to wrap up this thread. We had to turn the camber bushing with a maximum amount of camber to even get the left side slightly over positive. I'm pretty sure the springs are sagged.
I don't think the traction beam is bent. So I guess a 1.5 - 2 inch lift or new Springs are in order at some point!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals