• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

any help is appreciated!! 302 build.

RoxyRanger89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
soon to be 302
Transmission
Automatic
hey guys i have a few questions!

i have an 89 ranger 4x4, 3 inch body lift and im throwing a carburated 302 in it, it will have a mild build and im going to throw a built c6 behind it. for my transfer case it will be a 1356. and my otherthinking issue is my drivelines. ive tried to find someone who has done it in a 4x4 model and id like to find any info on anything about this swap.

i have my adapters for A.A
(4x4 motor mounts)
(Headers)
(oil relocation kit)

Please helo and i will post pictures along the way! thanks guys!

----Carson W.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Up at the top of this, or any page here, just below the main banner are links to other sections
The "Tech Articles" is a good source of "been there done that" info from members
It will take you here: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/index.shtml

Click on the "Engines & Fuel Tech" section

There will be several articles in there on V8 swaps

Sorry I don't have the specific info you need.

Sounds like a nice project

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What exactly are you asking?

1356 is a huge tcase. I have one in my Bronco and F350 and they barely clear the frame. Although one benefit over the tcase from the Bronco is it has front and rear fixed yokes/flanges unlike most 1356's that came from f-series.

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm running a 5.0/M5ODR2/NP205. I tried the 1356, but it is so tight it creates problems with other stuff like the driveshaft alignment. Not saying it can't be done, but there are easier alternatives.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
hey guys i have a few questions!

i have an 89 ranger 4x4, 3 inch body lift and im throwing a carburated 302 in it, it will have a mild build and im going to throw a built c6 behind it. for my transfer case it will be a 1356. and my otherthinking issue is my drivelines. ive tried to find someone who has done it in a 4x4 model and id like to find any info on anything about this swap.

i have my adapters for A.A
(4x4 motor mounts)
(Headers)
(oil relocation kit)

Please helo and i will post pictures along the way! thanks guys!

----Carson W.

i have had most every style of ford t case in my truck up to 94.

the dana 20 via c4....naturally the factory rangers when it was still sporting the 2.9 a4ld, f-208, 1345-1356 and the f-205, and i also fit up but did not use a 203...technically the 205 fit best, but the f208 had better ground clearance and the 205 low range ratio sucked and was a bitch to shift...in reality the 208 jeep was the best fit. the 44 series is a better fit then the 1356 by a long ways....its a big beeeotch but fits better ime.

all of them are wanting a 3 in body lift if you want max clearance and no or minimal floor mods. even a stock 4x4 ranger, i say the best thing you can do to ease maintenance is a 2 or 3 in body lift.....if your going to a larger powertrain its par for the course in my eyes....either blocks or custom mounts.

like mentioned the bronco versions are a sure bet to get a fixed yoke case.

not sure i would use those aa parts, but they work well enough for many, and seem to be cost effective for most.

as to the 1356, it is a monster and will be a problem child to fit up....i usually end up nipping things off of stuff regardless (like pry boss protrusions) to gain clearances. i am not sure about driveline issues because of running the powertrain off center..everything is always off center in a ranger....i have had minimum issues with any swap i have worked on or participated in.

its just one of those compromise things....i have no problems at all rolling an engine or cocking it in lineage to accomplish the task and minimize time and money to build and roll down the road. but some people do.

my main personal rbv truck in its current iteration which has been since fall 2008, has basically a big block in it and a flat belly 208-f case and 4l80 e trans.....that case is slightly narrower then a 1356, but still requires rolling or trimming of the rails due to exhaust manifold goals.. of course, once you put a solid front axle in one of these, anything goes for an engine.

with your 3 in body lift and aa parts, you should be fairly straight forward in swap, but very cocky in longitudinal engine positioning:D:D:D just take your time in mock up to find the best balance for fit...personally a 44 series case may be better if you can get one for the right price, or trade if you already have a 1356.

i offer a few pics from my rig to give you an idea of off center.

Attachments

RoxyRanger89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
soon to be 302
Transmission
Automatic
thanks guys, the info provided is already helping. i knew that my 1356 was a monster and i really havent heard anyone talk about using it. it would just be nice to use because i have it sitting under my parts rig lol. ill do more research as well to see if i can find a small more suitable t-case. cant wait to get this thing going!

BLOODBANE

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORDFORD
Engine Size
347, 4.oh
Transmission
Automatic
When I tried using the 1356 out of the 84 F150 I got the C-6 out of it was too wide. I couldn't get a front drive line in (radius arms were in the way) I went with the AA adapter for the Dana 20 (it was expensive though, but that was back in 2000). smaller case and it handles the power from the stroker just fine. If I want to upgrade there are enough aftermarket gear sets for it or the Atlas case will be a bolt in affair. I had custom shafts made Dana 20 on one end and Dana 35 and 8.8 on the other. I have been running this set up for around 15 years now and absolutely no issues (other than the C-6 being a hp pig and only 3spd).

If you go this route you have to have the 4x4 C-6 (31 spline output) and it has to be cut down (output shaft) about an inch to fit the adapter to the Dana 20.

I had to design my own transfer case mount (early Bronco center, as its a saddle design, and the outer end turned upside down and 6" of steel plate welded/bolted on them, to reach the center section. Its a little odd, but works well

When I did my 302 swap there wasn't a lot of them around and if I was to do it today, I think I would find a C-4 and build it up (you can build them to handle a lot of power). I wouldn't need the adapter as the 20's came mated to them in the early Bronco's and F100/150's.

Another thing I had to do was I used a James Duff shifter for a early Bronco and had to do some welding on it to get the linkage to work. Nothing major, if I remember correctly (nothing was bolt in, but we made it work with a little time and thought). If you go this way let me know and I can snap some pics for you of my set up.

Last edited:

RoxyRanger89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
soon to be 302
Transmission
Automatic
alright guys, my lift is all the way in now. ive got my c6 built and its almost ready to go in just have to pull my motor this weekend and get everything lined up. still havent found a good t case for the right price so i might just see what i can do with this 1356... ive got someone in my town who will build me drivelines if needed. my phone wont let me upload photos so i cant show you guys just yet...

anyways, hoping i dont have any other issues then what you guys have come up with but at least i will know what to look for.

thanks again hope to hear for more information!

---Carson:icon_welder:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals