• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

09 Ranger V8 conversion

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The 4.0 SOHC was used in Rangers from 01-12. I think they put them in the Explorers beginning in 98. They used them in Mustangs too, but I'm not sure about the specific dates (somewhere around 99-08). It may have also been available in some Lincoln, Mercury and Jaguar products around the same time.

The SOHC engine is actually based on the older 4.0 OHV, but making an OHV work in your 09 would be difficult, and it would be a significant downgrade compared to the SOHC.

I'd strongly suggest replacing both timing chains and guides on any 4.0 SOHC engine you get before you drop it in just to avoid having to pull the engine back out.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
when they came out with the sohc it was a decent start. but they never improved it. if it had followed the plot line and went gdi with full vvt by 1999-2001 there could have been some justification for it other then an exercise in futility.

its an over complicated pos. dont get me wrong, its a stellar 1st owner 5 year 150k engine. unfortunately imo the modest power improvement over the ohv was not justifiable because fuel improved economy was not there to support. though for most at least there was not a penalty when buying new over the old..

the 4.0 in either form is most certainly a venerable engine in this platform and has a real amount of low rpm torque that is usable. its a very narrow one in the ohv, and they did widen it some in the cammer.

the cammer was just a crude parlor trick for valve event control to satisfy bullshit epa regs....and the wrong thing to do. when you add that much bearing surface via jackshaft over the original design it approaches patently ridiculous....instead of putting it to a quick death they let it drag on and doubled down the stupid with an application for the mustang. which may prove to be the one saving grace....but with the advent of the new engines likely not.

so with your resistance to want to go get the donor engine from the donor truck yourself, your being smart.

this engine in my experience is much more difficult to remove then the ohv. i usually drop the trans right down a little and cradle it if the truck has no body lift....its not necessary, just makes dealing with things much easier in relation to the o2 sensor wiring etc. the bolt up is a bit different then the ohv and has challenges over it via studded trans to engine bolts in some applications that hold associated wiring etc... the exhaust is hit or miss depending on age...but i am solidly in the salt belt.....much much anger dealing with it. though the last 4-5 swaps were pretty nice in that dept.

so, with decent tools and a good set of extension and ball swivels its nothing you cant handle if your used to pulling engines.

but for the amount of work over an older model....i would rather do a conversion.:thefinger:

is that helping ya any:thefinger::thefinger:

Ranger Kip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fleet
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Confused and Intolerant
Found a 150k mile 4.0 sohc out of an 01 for 350 (pulled) with all the stuff on it from a junk dealer (coming out of a running truck, hasn't been pulled yet). I was going to have it scrubbed and ringed, then new gaskets all over, and have it dropped in.

Any concerns with that?

Also was going to try removing my engine and the transmission myself and see how hard it is to base if I can handle the installation.

Found a full gasket set for 130 and rings for 75. Overall I'll be dumping 1200-1500 into the truck before she is finished. (Also installing a gps-radio)

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'd highly recommend replacing both timing chains and the guides for them. The 4.0 SOHC has one timing chain in the front, and another in the rear. The guides are known to wear, and allow too much slack in the timing chains which can lock up the engine if it goes too long without being addressed. If they start to go while the engine is in the truck, you have to pull the engine to replace them, and thats a huge hassle. Since you don't know the history of the engine, and you're going to have easy access to the rear timing chain, I'd definitely do it while it's easy to get to so that you don't have to worry about it in a few thousand miles.

Ranger Kip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fleet
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Confused and Intolerant
Is a timing chain a special kind of chain or a regular chain, and I'll have to research what a quite is Lol, I've never broken down an engine before.

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
Not necessarily the right one, (10 seconds with Google..), but something to this effect is what you'd want to replace.

SOHC Timing Set

As you can see it's pretty special, and IMO overly complicated...

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
You've never torn down an engine.... This is NOT the one to learn on. You need a special set of overpriced, over complicated alignment tools, that you will most likely never use again, for the timing chains.

Go find a low mileage 4.0l out of a wrecked '05+ Mustang and just drop it in. It will save you time and money.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
You've never torn down an engine.... This is NOT the one to learn on. You need a special set of overpriced, over complicated alignment tools, that you will most likely never use again, for the timing chains.

Go find a low mileage 4.0l out of a wrecked '05+ Mustang and just drop it in. It will save you time and money.
i have got away without the tools with home made stuff so far.....but if i have to do it a few more times...they will buy me the tools whomever want it done.

not easy.:annoyed:

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
i have got away without the tools with home made stuff so far.....but if i have to do it a few more times...they will buy me the tools whomever want it done.

not easy.:annoyed:
You also have plenty of experience.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals