• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

bronco II cv drive shaft swap

tvg4x4

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
hi im trying to find some info for a friend. he has a 89 b2 with that god awful cv rear drive shaft. i know there's replacement shafts form vendors like james duff but is there any other options? i was thinking maybe a explorer drive shaft and transfercase yoke might work?

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, but those area all from 1984 and are either W O R N O U T or pricey (reman). And they are ALL the wrong length for an '89 (that's before the A4LD transmission). And they don't bolt to the transfer case, so the transfer case needs modification. So, some work must still be performed ($100 or so for a shortening and balance).

So, you buy that shaft from LMC for $200 and you still have $150 or so in other work. You can buy a BRAND NEW custom made driveshaft for less than that. Of the shelf for much less.

engdept

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So, you buy that shaft from LMC for $200 and you still have $150 or so in other work. You can buy a BRAND NEW custom made driveshaft for less than that. Of the shelf for much less.
Did you not read the ad from LMC? They have a single u-joint drive shaft for a '88-90 (part #50-6811-2) for a 5 speed that has the flange to flange mount.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
That's still going to be over $300 with tax, shipping, and core. It's VERY unlikely that a broken CV shaft is "rebuildable" because you can't get the tulips from anywhere.

You can have one MADE for that, with a better design (it DOES matter for Bronco IIs because they are so dang short). You want a CV joint on the front end (the double cardan design LMC describes). Or it's going to shake like 1906.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
The driveshaft from an explorer sport can be SHORTENED, but that doesn't adress the issue with the larger flange on the 90-up rear axles...

On an '89 you are kinda screwed one way or the other.

AD

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
I found the #2 driveshaft in that picture in a junkyard and it's the correct length for M5ODs, FM146 and A4LDs... Also had an 88 parts rig with the same shaft.

codeman2468

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Expl
Transmission
Manual
I cut down my 89 Ranger shaft to fit my 88 BroncoII. Works fine.

BTW, U-joints came at LEAST as late as 89... not just 84.

Last edited:

engdept

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ranger shafts are not the same as Bronco II shafts.
They did also come in up to '89 Bronco II's. I have the u-joint style Spicer drive shaft in my '89.

WhiteBroncoII2WD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
hi im trying to find some info for a friend. he has a 89 b2 with that god awful cv rear drive shaft. i know there's replacement shafts form vendors like james duff but is there any other options? i was thinking maybe a explorer drive shaft and transfercase yoke might work?
I didn't know James Duff sells these...I can't remember were I got mine in 2005, but we went from a CV rear drive shaft to one with U-joints, I'll have to look through some of my paperwork

codeman2468

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Expl
Transmission
Manual
Ranger shafts are not the same as Bronco II shafts.
Why do you think i had to cut it down? Ranger's are longer but the yokes are the same... trust me, my ranger shaft is still on my broncoII.

cjb 90 bronchoII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
i also cut down my ranger driveshaft and it works fine in my 90 b2

fastford04

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i guess ill add my .02 in....
You can use a explorer front shaft from a 91-94 also! All you need to get off the donor vehicle is the front shaft and the yoke off the transmission dont forget the 4 bolts that yoke the yoke on the shaft to the yoke on the transfercase!, you'll hafto find the big ujoint type 7.5 flange...ive got all the parts for mine i just havent had time to drop my cv shaft down an put the yoke on to measure!
if you have ur b2 lifted over 4 inches or so it will fit right up in there! no mods needed other the having to put the yoke transfercase and flange on the shaft!!

Rabbit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I used a front shaft from an early Heep Grand Waggy to replace the rear cv shaft on my 88. I had to lengthen it slightly.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals