• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Crazy idea or not? AC Upgrade

Demi_II

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Im prepping my B2 for a move to Phoenix. Im looking to upgrade to a Explorer radiator (AT) to make sure the little fella doesnt over heat. As Im sure you guys know there are ports for the transmission cooler. Is it possible, smart, feasible, thermodynamically sound, ect. to fab up some AC line fittings to run from the stock condenser to the tranny cooler side of the radiator, to get more heat removed from the AC lines? I dont know if Im explaining this well, but essentially the line would run from the compressor, to the stock condenser to the tranny cooler to the evaporator. Anyone ever tried this? Worth the effort? AC does pretty darn well as it is, but at 115 degrees outside, Im guessing its going to have a hard time keeping up.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Doubtful it would do anything, since it's in contact with the 195° engine coolant (infact this may hurt it's performance).

Mine's using all stock parts (converted to R-134a w/pag-46 lubricant) and it keeps things comfortable in 110° temps without any issue... I'm sure 5° more wouldn't be a problem.

You'll have far more to gain simply by adding additional thermal insulation to your doors, rear walls, roof, and also the floor (if you don't have the factory carpeting), and sealing any air leaks (such as replacing missing moisture barriers in your doors and any damaged weatherstripping).

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
No, plumbing the trans cooler into the A/C system is not going to get you colder air. The trans cooler is not sealed up well enough to retain refrigerant, for one thing. Also, the condenser is placed in front of the radiator so that it isn't picking up heat from the radiator. Running refrigerant past the radiator core will defeat that purpose.

veefer800canuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
And the pressures involved may be higher than the tranny cooler can handle.

You'll gain more from cleaning your condenser of bugs and junk, and making sure your system is filled correctly.

Tint your windows as much as the law will allow, that may help too.

If you really wanted to go hog wild, how about an electric pusher fan on the front of the condenser to augment the engine driven one behind the rad? Could probably get one from the junkyard cheap from a late model car or truck and adapt it.

Last edited:

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Pusher fans aren't really that great. They block a big portion of the center of the cooler.

I saw on here a while ago where a guy squeezed a few degrees out of his AC by wrapping the lines in foam pipe wrapping and thermal tape. This was a Texas member, said he was reading 34 degrees at the register. Any colder and you ice the evap core, makes the AC stop working.

Demi_II

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks guys I was thinking thats the case. I did the foam wrap and it did indeed cool things off a bit. I need to insulate the vapor can as well. Im thinking a double condenser system could work. I want siberian winter blowing out of this thing. I pack 80lbs of sound deadening and closed cell foam in the deuce and it really helped a lot, not to mention it sounds like a lexus. The lines running to the compressor are really cold, leaving me to wonder how much could be gained with a large air heat exchanger. Anyone play with that?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I would suggest just insulate (wrap) the return line to the compressor. This will help keep the refrigerant vapor cooler so that when it reaches the compressor and is sent to the condenser it will still be at a cooler temp (thus denser) than it would otherwise and will condense back into a liquid faster (improving efficiency).

Not a bad idea to put insulation on the accumulator and the evaporator box as well... any exposed parts that are part of the low-pressure side of the system (Ford actually started doing this from the factory when they switched to R-134a mid-year '94 models).

Last edited:

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I want siberian winter blowing out of this thing.
Not practical. Air conditioners remove humidity from the air, that means water vapor condenses on the evaporator (confusing, I know). Because of this pretty much every A/C system made is in some way limited to 35* at the evap. That's because if you get it much colder you make ice, which makes for no cold air because it blocks the air flow.

Demi_II

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I would suggest just insulate (wrap) the return line to the compressor. This will help keep the refrigerant vapor cooler so that when it reaches the compressor and is sent to the condenser it will still be at a cooler temp (thus denser) than it would otherwise and will condense back into a liquid faster (improving efficiency).

Not a bad idea to put insulation on the accumulator and the evaporator box as well... any exposed parts that are part of the low-pressure side of the system (Ford actually started doing this from the factory when they switched to R-134a mid-year '94 models).
Yep did everything but the can so far. It did make a difference. I need to get in there and get the can done too.

Not practical. Air conditioners remove humidity from the air, that means water vapor condenses on the evaporator (confusing, I know). Because of this pretty much every A/C system made is in some way limited to 35* at the evap. That's because if you get it much colder you make ice, which makes for no cold air because it blocks the air flow.
If i got anywhere near that i would be overjoyed. Shit if it would blow 50 i would loose my mind.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Have you considered the possibility that the system is not fully charged? I know my BII's AC leaks. When I charge it up it will blow 30 odd degrees all day long for about two weeks, then it's back into the 50s again.

I am not dependent on AC to survive the summer though, since I spend all day in the heat anyway, so I won't spend the money to fix it.

Last edited:

Demi_II

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well i had it filled last summer, and it blows cold enough to make the GF uncomfortable. Could be low but i think im just looking for a project and shooting for silly.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Stick a thermometer in your center-right vent... With the blower on Hi the air coming out should be between 38-45°F. With the blower on Lo, it should be 35-40°F (this while you are moving... it's normal for the temps to rise maybe 10° or so if you're stopped or are stuck in traffic).

If it's a lot warmer than that, I would suspect the refrigerant charge is low or there's some contaminants in the system.

(was about 95°F out when I took that pic)

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
i think im just looking for a project and shooting for silly.
Well this at least is correct.

I do agree that the trans cooler would probably not take the pressures involved either. It is meant for a system that has about 30 to 100 PSI. In the temps that you mentioned the high side of the AC system (the side where the cooling that you are looking for happens) can produce operational pressures near 300 PSI.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals