• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9 B2 wont stay running

CurtisP87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My B2 died on me back in February, and Ive just recently been able to start looking into the problem. It was getting 0 psi to the fuel rail, so I threw a new pump (the one on the frame) and a new filter at it. This didnt help, so I started looking around the pump relay and found a frayed wire that goes into the relay. Patched that wire up, and now the truck will start, but it chokes out within 10-20 seconds. The engine bay smells really rich after starting it a couple times, so I decided new plugs and wires wouldnt hurt. 4 of the 6 plugs I pulled out were some of the most fouled plugs Ive ever seen (and it hasnt been that long since I did them). That didnt help, so I borrowed an EEC out of a friends 87 ranger and plugged it in just for shits n gigs, same story....

Im a little stumped where to go from here. Im starting to suspect bad gas from sitting too long. Does gas go bad after 5-6 months...? If it did go bad, what would it have mucked up to cause the problem Im having...? My gut tells me that since the engine bay smells super rich fuel delivery isnt my problem anymore, and Im chasing a new ghost around, but Im just guessing...

Any help/advice would be very much appreciated. Im leaving now to go re-rent the fuel pressure tester to see what sort of pressure Ive got now that I got the old girl to at least fire up...Ill update when I figure something out.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
On the fuel rail is the Fuel Pressure Regulator(FPR), it will have Fuel line and return line, also a Vacuum hose attached.
Remove the vacuum hose and check it for gas or gas smell.
If FPR leaks the fuel will be sucked into the intake flooding out the engine.

No, 5 or 6 months will not hurt the gas in the tank.
BUT....when gas sits for awhile all the water in the tank will settle at the bottom, gas is lighter than water.
And fuel pump pulls gas from the bottom of the tank...........
Normally with daily, weekly or even monthly driving the gas and water stay mixed and don't have a chance to settle out.

This doesn't sound like your issue because there would be no "smell of gas" if water was the issue.

Last edited:

CurtisP87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thanks for the tip Ron. I checked out the vacuum hose on the FPR and it definitely smells of fuel. Ill try a new FPR and update when Ive learned more.

CurtisP87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Aaarrrggggghhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Update....
I put in a new FPR, same story. So I started to wonder if perhaps fuel delivery was alright and I wasn't getting a spark, so I started looking around the ignition coil with the multimeter. I discovered I had a bad ground to the coil, only 6v registered on the meter. The hot wire was spot on, 12v. So I ran a jumper wire from an easily accessible ground location straight to the coil, and used the existing hot wire. I tested again with the meter, this time got 12v across the circuit (with the new ground wire). Here's where things get weird....With this new ground wire for the coil, the truck wont even start. Cranks all day, but wont fire up. If I put the original ground wire back on (only 6v on the circuit) it starts right up, but immediately chokes out and dies...

If anyone could shed some light on this one, I would very much appreciate it.

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hooked up the original ground wire and the new one at the same time. you can never have to many ground wires.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Update....
I put in a new FPR, same story. So I started to wonder if perhaps fuel delivery was alright and I wasn't getting a spark, so I started looking around the ignition coil with the multimeter. I discovered I had a bad ground to the coil, only 6v registered on the meter. The hot wire was spot on, 12v. So I ran a jumper wire from an easily accessible ground location straight to the coil, and used the existing hot wire. I tested again with the meter, this time got 12v across the circuit (with the new ground wire). Here's where things get weird....With this new ground wire for the coil, the truck wont even start. Cranks all day, but wont fire up. If I put the original ground wire back on (only 6v on the circuit) it starts right up, but immediately chokes out and dies...

If anyone could shed some light on this one, I would very much appreciate it.
Coils don't have a full time ground...................remove that new wire.

A coil gets 12volts on "+" terminal when key is on, there may or may not be a readable ground on the "-" terminal, it depends on the ignition system.

A coil works by turning it OFF, that's what the points did in the old distributors, when the points opened(they were connected to ground and "-" on coil), the ground is cut, the primary field in the coil collapses and this sends out a spark on the secondary coil.
When points closed the coil powered up again, for the next time the points opened and a spark is sent.
Newer ignition systems use "transistors" instead of points to cut Ground to the coil, either using a sensor in a distributor or on Crankshaft for distributorless.

So that wasn't your problem.

CurtisP87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
alright, thanks for the info ron, that got me away from a dead end and back on the right track.

I found that the orange/light blue wire going from pump relay to the inertia switch had power leaving the relay, but NOT going into the switch. So I ran a jumper from relay to switch, problem solved. Somehow that wire has pooped out and isnt moving the electricity properly (assuming it just deteriorated internally). I removed the old wire, ran the new wire thru the firewall with the rest of the wires, and snugged everything back up.

The B2 is back in action!!!! :D :D :D
Thanks for the advice, and keepin me looking in the right direction.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Good work :icon_thumby:

Gotta love a happy ending

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals