• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Gas gauge

patrick84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
Does anyone actually HAVE a functioning gas gauge in an early Ranger??? All the other gauges work fine. We've had the bed off the truck once, and tried to get the gauge working while the bed was off. Pulled the sending unit, cleaned the contacts, reinstalled it, and the gauge barely moves off "E" now...and YES, there is plenty of fuel in the tank!

Anyone have a solution here? Thanks!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Google: Ford anti-slosh module

At the gas tank there will be a Yellow/white stripe wire, that is the gas gauge wire.
The sender in the tank is a variable resistor, connected to a Ground, the needle on the gauge shows the resistance to Ground.
Pre-1989 Ford gauges used 73 Ohms empty and 10 Ohms full

Ohms is resistance, 0 ohms is no resistance, direct connection.
Higher ohms is more resistance.

So if you disconnect the Yellow wire gauge would show Empty, below empty, no connection, no connection is the same as a gazzilion-million Ohms :).

If you Grounded the Yellow wire it would be 0 Ohms so gauge would show Full, well over full, no that won't hurt it.

If gauge needle doesn't react this way then the problem is in the dash board.

1989 and up Fords use 16 Ohms empty and 158 Ohms full, so opposite of early models

Last edited:

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Ground the sending unit wire to a good ground with the key on and the guage should read full. If it does the ground to the sending unit is bad or the sending unit itself needs replaced. Have you tried slapping the dash above the guage cluster it could also be a dirty connector?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Mine never reads consistant, it can be half a tank, 3/4 of a tank and a quarter of a tank in the same day. If you go the average it will give you a rough idea but not very accurate.

It plain sucks you can't get a sender for a carbed first gen. I was going to pick on the stupid thing when I have the bed off for bodywork in the probably somewhat distant future and see if I can get something to work.

I just go off the trip timer, been working decent for 15.5 years so far...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals