• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Temp gauge stuck

Speedfreak

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Hey all so I'm new to the brand, just picked up a nice little 97 b2300 2.3L 5 speed 2wd short bed, thinking pre runner style, anyway my temp gauge got stuck the day I drove it home, it was working was cold then got to temp but the next time I went to drive it noticed the gauge shows it at operating temp on the middle now all the time on or off the gauge never moves, I'm wondering where to start, cluster or sending unit? Every other issue I found was gauges dead or fluctuating but being in the middle even when I shut off the truck I'm thinking its a cluster issue. Thanks.

Ps I know she runs right I ran it home a good 30min highway drive (27km) and was attempted to be run over by a logging truck and had the ol gal doing 130km (that's about 80mph) for a good stretch and after I was able to hold my hand on the rad fins without being burnt.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Temp gauge works the same on most pre-2005 vehicles, GM or Ford.

There will be a 1 wire SENDER, usually near the Thermostat housing, that is the Ground for the dash board gauge.
It uses it's threads for the ground to engine, so only 1 wire is needed, so if ever changing a Sender always leave a few lower threads bare, no sealant or tape.

To test gauge and wire, locate the Sender, remove it's wire.
Turn on the key
Gauge needle should be below C or above H, depends on model
Now Ground that 1 wire, gauge should do the opposite of what it did with wire disconnected, so below C or above H.
If it does this then gauge and wire are OK, replace Sender.

If gauge doesn't do this then dash will need to be pulled to test wire and gauge.

All fuel injected engines also have a separate coolant temp SENSOR(2 wires) this is only used by the computer, it doesn't use engine as ground, so 2 wires.
Often called the ECT(engine coolant temp) sensor.
Auto parts guys don't always know the difference, so make sure you get a SENDER, one wire hook up, not a sensor, two wire hook up.

In the early to mid-2000's most automakers switched to full electronic dash boards, so the temp gauge is hooked to the computer, and would use the ECT Sensor to display temp on dash gauge.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals