• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Power Inverter Install

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
I posted on the Bronco 2 forum a while back about installing an inverter. Got a few responses but updated the other day and haven't gotten any feedback so I'll try here.

Has anyone installed a power inverter in their Bronco 2? If so, where? I decided to go with a 2,000 watt inverter, plenty of power for anything I'd really need to do out in the field. Trouble is I'm having a heck of a time coming up with a location to mount it, that won't be in the way of anything else. My bronco 2 has the little storage boxes on the sides but the inverters are too large for those so there went my idea of turning one of those spaces into an inverter box with vents. Thought about under the back seat...yeah no room under there either :(.

I have the cables already and a fuse & fuse holder for the inverter, just need to come up with a good location that the inverter won't get damaged by cargo or kicked, stepped on, etc.

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Shit Happens...Then You Die.
I installed my 2700 watt behind the rear seat in my 91 F350 Crew Cab. Mounted it to he rear wall on it's side. When using the inverter I fold the seat forward to aid in cooling.

I would install in the most out of the way spot possible and add a safety cage if needed. Use the largest cables possible from the battery to the inverter and try to get it as close to the battery as possible.

I've used mine to power floodlights, run electric chainsaws when not in the mood for loud gas ones and also to run the heaters in the house during an extended power outage at -20 degrees. With large loads, You almost need a throttle to increase engine speed some. Oh Yes, I also had to get a full sine wave unit in order to run my heating units in the house because of their electronic circuit boards.

I have since added a 2000 watt Honda inverter generator to my back-up repertoire. Damn near ready for the apocalypse!

Last edited:

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
I have 0 Gauge cables :). Those should be plenty large enough. The trick is getting the cables ran out of the way, as well as mounting the inverter where its out of the way, yet has plenty of air circulation. Wish those storage boxes in the sides in the back of the Bronco 2 were larger, one of those would be perfect, and add some ventilation and a fan if needed, but of course they're nowhere near large enough, unless you just want a little 200 watt inverter LOL.

I have amateur radio gear installed so I can imagine at some events having some 120V juice would be a good idea, so the inverter will be a huge plus, probably won't be used often but nice to have for those few times I do need it.

Thinking maybe mounting on the back of one of the rear seats, only trouble with that is, if I lay the back seats down for cargo. Not much in the way of options I can see right now, but I'll certainly figure something out.

Spott

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have mine mounted under the driver's seat, with the outlets and controls facing the door. When I need to use it, I just open the door and run an extension cord out.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Just mount Duplex 120vAC outlet in the storage box, in plastic back box
Inverter can be put in engine bay, even front side of rad support if you cover it
Run extension cord, of proper gauge, 120v(16amps) so smaller/cheaper wire can be used :), to duplex outlet
Put extension cord inside plastic conduit in frame rail to protect it from road debris

The larger gauge 12volt wires from battery to remote mounted 2,000 watt inverter costs alot, and still needs the protection from road debris

Use rubber grommets where ever wire passes thru metal

Last edited:

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I ran all my 00 wire thru 3/4" heater hose where it came thru the floor and anywhere it could rub or be damaged. I don't leave the + hooked up to the batteries all the time...I just use a wing nut on the battery stud.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
Great ideas, not sure about mounting under the hood, it gets pretty dang hot under there, and already very limited space.

Under the seat sounds like a good easy access yet out of the way option and pretty descent airflow. Still maybe having the outlets themselves remotely mounted in one of the storage cubbies would still be nice as most likely the most common area of needing the power would be in the cargo area anyhow to run tools and that type of stuff.

The cables I have are from this source:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/0-GAUGE-POWER-AMP-KIT-AMPLIFIER-WIRING-INSTALL-6000W-PRIORITY-SHIPPING-TODAY/252361556263?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Pretty sure I used fine strand 00 welding cable that had a thick rubber covering instead of the thin thermoplastic covering. I used the absolute largest cable possible because my run was about 15 feet. All my fuses are on the inverter.
Maybe I should add a mega fuse at the battery also.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
Pretty sure I used fine strand 00 welding cable that had a thick rubber covering instead of the thin thermoplastic covering. I used the absolute largest cable possible because my run was about 15 feet. All my fuses are on the inverter.
Maybe I should add a mega fuse at the battery also.
Looking around more I may do an under seat mount. From the chart I found the 0 Gauge cable will be fine anything more than about 12' will require 00 gauge. That's also based on a 5k inverter, so having an inverter 1/2 that capacity the 0 gauge cable is perfectly fine, however I may go with the larger cable anyways like you did, I'd rather only run the cable once. I have an ANL Fuse block and a 350 amp ANL fuse.

The only thing I'm trying to figure out is where the best location would be to put the wires from the battery into the cab? Doubt there's enough room to run them through the firewall and down behind the trim along the floor so thinking I may have to sink to drilling a hole in the floor :(.

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Your plan sounds good to me. My plow truck is a beater so I didn't mind running up thru the floor. You can seal it up nice and tight. Since we get so cold up here and wire and stuff gets so stiff...I use 12ga extension cords that remain pliable in cold weather.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
I'll look around better in a couple days when I have some time off and see what options I have for cable routing. If I have to go through the floor I'll try and do so in a location that can easily be sealed back up, and easily accessible. I'm thinking if I run through the floor about running some sort of tubing through the hole as a conduit, and make it large enough to accommodate any potential future wire needs.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals