• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2006 4.0 Engine DOA

GRS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
OK, I am new here, 1st time and I trust this will go thru. I have a 2006 FX4 Ranger Off Road. Truck is stock with 170000 miles, automatic. Engine is making bad noise (local shop calls it timing chain, possible rear). Either way they suggest a new motor. Reviewing the net comes up with several business that rebuild, however none seem to have a good reputation. Even the FORD Motor Co doesn't show much available. Anyone have experience in this matter? Body is perfect as is the interior so I hate to scrap this vehicle providing I can't obtain another engine.
Thank You

Spott

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
OK, I am new here, 1st time and I trust this will go thru. I have a 2006 FX4 Ranger Off Road. Truck is stock with 170000 miles, automatic. Engine is making bad noise (local shop calls it timing chain, possible rear). Either way they suggest a new motor. Reviewing the net comes up with several business that rebuild, however none seem to have a good reputation. Even the FORD Motor Co doesn't show much available. Anyone have experience in this matter? Body is perfect as is the interior so I hate to scrap this vehicle providing I can't obtain another engine.
Thank You
DOA? Dead On Arrival?

You got a replacement engine from somewhere, and it was broken or defective when you received it? Most reputable places, even most salvage yards, have some kind of short-term warranty period. Have you contacted the seller?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

The 1997 to 2003 4.0l SOHC engine did have timing chain issues, and the engine does need to be removed to replace the rear chain.
2004 and up got the newer design tensioners(main issue) and cassettes, so that problem was rare, but could happen.
2006 4.0l SOHC should not have had that problem, but since it is new to you....previous owner may have run low on oil or ???

If it is a timing chain issue then you don't need a new engine, but do need the engine pulled out, repaired(new tensioners and cassettes) and reinstalled.
And hopefully it was just a timing chain issue, the mechanic is suggesting a new engine because there no way he, or anyone else, can know if it is only a timing chain problem.
He doesn't want to do the repair and then have unrelated engine problem show up, and you getting pissed off at him and the shop.
And no there is no way to tell unless you go thru the whole engine, which is called a "rebuild", lol, not just timing chain repair.
So roll of the dice but still not a bad bet with the 4.0l SOHC because timing chain rattle a known issue

4.0l SOHC was used in a few Ford Models
2001–2012 Ford Ranger
2001–2010 Mazda B4000
1997–2010 Ford Explorer/Mercury Mountaineer
2005–2010 Ford Mustang

So there are lower mile Used engines available, you would want 2005 or newer for sure
And most have some sort of warranty but it does NOT cover labor to remove and install if it fails

Re-Manufactured(rebuilt) engines are sold as Long Blocks, crank, pistons, heads, cams and chains installed, usually oil pump.
You use the intake and oil pan, water pump and accessories off your old engine, and all of that adds up in labor.

I don't think a used low mile 4.0l SOHC would be a bad bet, but it is an unknown

GRS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
4.0 Dead

Ron,
Thanks for your detailed reply. The motor is the original one to the vehicle, hence the reason the rebuild/reman. Noise is MUCH louder than any timing chain I have ever heard which leads me to believe valves might be hitting???? That is why I am looking at another motor. My main issue is still finding a reliable remanufacture that has a good reputation. Several say BBB A+, yet do not show up on BBB. Not a good start. Which points me to Ford Motor Co, but cost are really high there.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Can you post a video of the noise?

The timing chain issue was pretty much resolved by 2006? Have you tried a stethoscope to isolate the noise? These revised engines are pretty bulletproof. 3 years ago I bought a 2004 with a bad timing chain. I bought a used 4.0 with 85k on it out of a 2009 Ranger. It cost me $860 from a salvage yard. Paid $800 for the install plus $200 misc parts. It's been great since then.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals