• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Replaced pcm and anti theft issues...HELP!

Ranger lover

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I replaced the computer module in a 2001 xlt 3.0 v6 auto, with module from an exact match 01 xlt and when try to start anti theft light flashes real fast and no start. How do sync my key to the replacement brain box? Please help... Dealership no longer sells pcm, and i want to know if flashing the pcm will fix the no start issue?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
It doesn't need re-flashed per se, but the PATS system needs reset so the new PCM can be introduced to the rest of the system.

It should be programmed to the vehicle to avoid VIN mismatch codes too, which can cause other problems.

Ranger lover

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ecm issues

How do i do that and whom do i see to do that?

Ranger lover

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
How do i do that, and whom do i see to do that?

Ranger lover

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
You still there adsm08...?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2001 V6 Ranger should have Type E PATS so no separate PATS module, PATS is in the PCM

PATS = passive anti-theft system, PATS makes the theft light flash

A PATS key has an RFID tag in the handle, each tag has unique number, when you turn on the key in the ignition, the PATS reads that keys tag number

Your original PCM was programmed with 3 PATS keys at the factory, if the key used matches one of these numbers in PCM memory then the starter motor, fuel pump and fuel injectors will work, if it doesn't then these 3 things won't work

The other PCM was programmed with 3 PATS keys as well, can you get one of those keys?

If not you will need to tow the truck to a locksmith that has laptop with Ford software and he can add your PATS key number(s) to new PCM
Or get Mobile locksmith with laptop and software to come to you and add the PATS keys.

PCM can only get keys added while IN the truck and connected, you can't add keys to PCM while it is out of a vehicle
i.e. you can't just take PCM in to have keys added

adsm08 is right you could get the truck towed to Ford Dealer and they can add the keys and change VIN to match

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals