• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

98 Ranger unable to move forwards

ernest_pizza

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1998 Ranger XLT, 4x4, 5 speed manual, with the 3.0 v6.

Today, after having been parked outside for about 7 hours in cold, snowy/rainy weather, my ranger was unable to drive forwards. The truck fired up and ran just fine, and it went into gear fine as well, but when I started to feel the clutch grab, and when the truck began to move forwards, it abruptly stopped and was unable to move forwards any more. After stopping moving, it didn't stall and I could still rev it up, it just wouldn't move forwards.

I had exactly this problem once before (also after being parked outside in the cold for many hours), and was able to fix it by driving around the parking lot in reverse (it was at night and no one was there except for me) for a few minutes before putting it back into 1st and driving off with no problem. I tried that strategy again tonight, but this time the truck was unable to creep forwards more than a few feet before stopping abruptly again in the same way as before.

A (very kind) man stopped to help tow me back into a parking spot, and another person who was watching while he did so said that all three of my wheels turned while being towed (truck was in neutral) except for one of the back ones (I believe it was back left but I can't remember for sure.)

Any ideas as to what this could be? Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:

planeflyer21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Something is up inside your rear differential.

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
First I would suggest draining the rear axle and pulling the inspection cover. Pay special attention to the color of the gear oil and look for pieces of metal. I assume you have a piece of metal floating around and when the oil thickens, it pulls it up into the ring and pinion gears.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
^^^^^^ +1

This doesn't sound good. Check gear teeth for heavy wear and wiggle everything around as best you can to see if there's play (wear) in the pinion bearings or carrier bearings. It sounds like something has enough play to move out of position and cause the gear teeth to bind. I would put the rear axle on jack stands and be prepared to pull the axle shafts.

Wait. I had another thought. Is that drum or disc brakes? if drum brakes, maybe something is getting frozen and not allowing the brake shoes to disengage, possibly parking brake mechasnism. Driving backwards would possibly shift the brake shoes the other way and make them disengage. That's a happier thought than differential woes.

ernest_pizza

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Rear brakes are drums

Update: I went back to the parking lot where I left it and tried setting and releasing the parking brake hoping that it would cause the cable to release, it didn't work at first but then I felt something "break loose" for lack of a better term and I was able to drive again. For the first few seconds of this driving the ranger slowed down more quickly than usual and while it was slowing down I heard a faint whine that decreased in pitch as it went and stopped after a second. As I continued, both anomalies stopped and I was able to drive home without any further issues. Now that it's home I'll take a look at the brakes and the rear diff.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The Cold Snowy weather was the comment that would point to Parking Brake issue
Not at all uncommon for Parking Brakes to freeze up in cold weather.
Water gets into the cable sheaths and freezes, holding one or both rear brakes ON

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Shit Happens...Then You Die.
We don't use parking brakes in the winter because they can ice up and freeze and fail to release. Also, if your rear shoes are out of adjustment, they can freeze to the drums.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
If it continues to be a problem, I would think about replacing the rear parking brake cables. The problem will only continue to get worse. Being that you have a manual transmission, just parking it in gear is asking for trouble. Too many people have found that out the hard way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The Cold Snowy weather was the comment that would point to Parking Brake issue
Not at all uncommon for Parking Brakes to freeze up in cold weather.
Water gets into the cable sheaths and freezes, holding one or both rear brakes ON
X2. I've had this issue on all 4 Rangers I've owned. New cables solved it every time. If you're doing the cables yourself and need some tips let me know. There's a few tricks!

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
I never thought about that. Don't have that issue here in central California. Makes perfect sense though!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals