Home Ford Ranger Forum Builders Guide How To Tech Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Help Forums - Styling & Electrical > Misc Electrical & Gauges

Notices

Misc Electrical & Gauges Post your speedometer, gauges, interior and non audio/video questions here.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:02 PM   #1
warrior24

Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger SuperCab
warrior24 is on a distinguished road
Default Turn Signal SNAFU *****SOLVED*****

My turn Signals are acting up, the left side blinks really fast and the right side blinks even faster. Checked all bulbs are intact, however the glass on the rear is a tiny bit blackened but otherwise no loose fillimant. No corrosion on the connections. I have noticed one thing when I replaced my battery today. The ground cable is corroded has green crap in side of the braided wire, its visible down to frame ground don't know if it extends to the ground on the tranny. I replaced the battery cause it was getting bloated and eating up all the wire loom and hoses. So I took the ground bolt off the frame sanded the connection, also cleaned the aftermarket battery terminal ground clamp. But I still have the same issues with my signals. When I removed the rear bulbs and tried the signals out the blinking slowed down but still didn't seam the right speed. So any one think it could be the relay? Or is it the ground wire?

The Technician Prayer

Last edited by warrior24; 03-19-2009 at 06:54 PM.
warrior24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement - Don't want to see the forum ads? Click HERE to find out how to be a Supporting Member.

5% Rock Auto Discount Code: 20B2FF503DCF74 Expires: September 28, 2018
Old 03-18-2009, 10:06 AM   #2
Earl43P
Supporting Member

Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: a driveway ornament, light hauling
Earl43P is just really niceEarl43P is just really niceEarl43P is just really niceEarl43P is just really niceEarl43P is just really nice

G103, the turn signal ground, is on the DS inner fender (under the hood), most forward of the two grounds. It is closest to the starter solenoid. Clean that up.

From your description, you need to replace that groady ground from the battery. Green is not good. Also examine/clean/replace the ground from the firewall to the engine. I believe there is also a ground from the battery - to the radiator support.

You can test for grounding problems by connecting both red and black jumper cable clamps to the negative battery terminal, then attach red to the chassis and black to the engine (you need bare metal). If that makes the turn signals better, grounding is your problem. (All this is doing is adding ground paths, not any kind of safety hazard).

That corroded ground probably contributed to your battery bloating problem and is taxing your alternator.
Earl43P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 03:05 PM   #3
warrior24

I don't have any jumper cables there in my moms car. Ill give it a try tomorrow and let you know if that was the problem. Thanks

The Technician Prayer
Old 03-19-2009, 06:53 PM   #4
warrior24

I tried the jumper cable thing but it did not work. So I tried a used spare flasher buss I had lying around and now it works perfect, I actually tried two different flash buss's and one had the same symptom and the other worked great. Still need to change the ground wire out though. Thanks for helping me pinpoint it down my process of elimination.

The Technician Prayer