• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Best rust proofing paint for undercarriage, frame

cstarbard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
It do like it be
Hi guys,

I need to replace a few cab mounts and spring hangers this fall, and at the same time I would really like to do something about rust protection on my frame, under the bed and cab, etc.

I know that there are oil coatings and lanolin sprays etc that can be applied before the winter, but I'm interested in a long term paint product that I could spray to the undercarriage to prevent rust as long as possible. I understand the prep work is a lot of work- I don't mind that one bit. I would like this truck to last a while...

Would like to hear your suggestions and experiences. Have used Eastwood rust encapsulator on a different ranger, it has done well so far, just wondering if there's anything better.

Chris

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I started using a product called corroseal this year and am very impressed. It's not a paint, it's a rust converter. It brushes on right over rust and starts as a milky substance then slowly turns the rust into a black finish. After it's fully dry I use a brush on oil based industrial enamel as a top coat. If you wanna go insane with it you could top the enamel with rubber undercoat but I think undercoat looks like crap. A quality oil based enamel will last forever on its own.

09fx4guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre Key w/ #1 Bars
Tire Size
265/70R16
I am actually in the middle of this kind of project myself. My plan is to keep the truck for as long as possible. I have the bed off the truck and am doing the rear section of the frame and underside of the bed. I am using the truck undercoating kit from Rust Bullet. It is expensive but seems to get good reviews. Hopefully it is something that will last for quite awhile.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If I was made of money I'd pay someone to sandblast the areas to be painted. Oil base paint is my choice. I had a company that owed me and in exchange they blasted my racetruck. Approximate cash would have been C$500. I painted after. Its held up pretty good for over 8 years. A lot of places that blast also paint. In that case a two part epoxy would be my choice.

cstarbard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
It do like it be
Thanks guys I appreciate the suggestions! I'll do some research on the products you mentioned. :icon_thumby:

A product called "Por-15" or something has been suggested to me as well, people seem to love it. They have a several step process, one part includes using this liquid rust dissolver as prep work, I've seen pictures of before and after application and I can't believe how clean it gets crusty surfaces. Its made by Eastwood, so I have reasonable faith in it, my brother and I did his truck with Eastwood rust encapsulator and it has held up amazing where we were able to prep it well

It is very expensive though. If anyone has experience with it I'd love to hear about it!

And again thanks for all the suggestions, I'll be looking into everything and see what seems like the best way to go.

Perhaps it would be cheaper to just move out of the salt belt :icon_rofl:

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals