Home Ford Ranger Forum Builders Guide How To Tech Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Help Forums - Styling & Electrical > Heating & Air Conditioning

Notices

Old 03-11-2018, 09:47 AM   #1
Efordman

Efordman is on a distinguished road
Default 86 2.9 to 99 ranger 4.0 ac swap

So I have a complete ranger that was totaled after running off the road into trees that I'm using for my 4.0 swap... The AC still works and I wanted to transplant the complete system still sealed into my bronco 2 if I can. So I'm pulling the complete dash and pulling all wiring needed for my swap...I'm keeping the OBD2 Port, all cluster wiring, pats system, and clutch safety system in place and pulling everything else out of the harness. How will I be able to control the newer AC system with the bronco 2 original setup? I haven't found any post about this wiring yet but did read the complete system should bolt Into the bronco.
Efordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement - Don't want to see the forum ads? Click HERE to find out how to be a Supporting Member.

5% Rock Auto Discount Code: 20B2FF503DCF74 Expires: September 28, 2018
Old 03-11-2018, 03:10 PM   #2
RonD

Vehicle Year: 1994
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
RonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant future

I doubt you will be able to keep it sealed pulling the condenser out from in front of radiator, and then reinstalling it

So you are putting the 1999 4.0l w/AC into the 1986 B2, right?

AC is either ON or OFF, so it is just an on/off switch there is no "temp" control.
Temp is controlled by the Blend Door on Rangers and B2s
When you select COLD on the dash slider the Blend door covers the heater core so no air from the fan passes thru it.
If you have AC then the Evaporator will also be in the Air box, so if AC is ON and temp is turned to COLD then you would have full AC cooling, if you slide temp over a bit towards HOT then some air would also go thru heater core and you get a bit warmer air coming out with the mix.

So you really only need an AC ON/OFF switch on the dash that turns on the compressor.
The on/off switch also runs thru the high and low pressure switches on the AC pipes, so if there is a problem you won't burn out the compressor, it would shut off if there was a pressure problem

The 1999 Ranger AC on/off did run thru the Computer, 3 wires
1. AC ON/OFF from dash control, 12volt/0volt
2. Ground from high/low pressure switches
3. Ground for AC on/off relay in engine fuse box

If you turn on the AC(send computer 12v) then computer passes the Ground from high/low switches to the AC Relay, closing it to turn on compressor.
So if a high/low pressure switch was "open" then no AC.

There were two reasons for computer to be involved, if engine temp got too hot computer would turn AC off, when you accelerate and go to WOT(wide open throttle), computer would turn AC off to give driver more power for passing or ??, then turn AC back on when not at Full Throttle.

You can use computer for this or not use it, really up to you

Last edited by RonD; 03-11-2018 at 05:52 PM.
RonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 08:33 PM   #3
alwaysFlOoReD
Super Moderator

Vehicle Year: '91, '94, '80
Vehicle Make: Ford, GMC
Vehicle Model: Ranger, Ranger, Grumman Kurbmaster
I use this vehicle for: 4x4 race, 4x4, Work
alwaysFlOoReD has much to be proud ofalwaysFlOoReD has much to be proud ofalwaysFlOoReD has much to be proud ofalwaysFlOoReD has much to be proud ofalwaysFlOoReD has much to be proud ofalwaysFlOoReD has much to be proud ofalwaysFlOoReD has much to be proud ofalwaysFlOoReD has much to be proud ofalwaysFlOoReD has much to be proud of

Way back when I first joined this forum, I was dismantling a 91 ranger. Someone told me I couldn't remove the AC without losing freon. I set out to prove them wrong and succeeded. IIRC it took me about 13 hours. So it is possible to pull. I never tried to put it into another vehicle.
Old 03-12-2018, 09:42 AM   #4
Efordman

So my goal is to remove the system as one unit in one loop. The HVAC box is already damaged and cracked on the ranger I'm using... So removal should be easy since the radiator is already removed and the condenser is easy to get out. I will remove the pump and all other parts before pulling the motor. Will I be able to remove the HVAC box on the bronco after the 4.0 is already in it to install Everything back??
Old 04-03-2018, 11:07 AM   #5
Efordman

Maybe someone can answer this... So my motor swap has went well and an ISSUE​ I'm running into is it sees like the evaporator doesn't fit in the HVAC box. Do anyone know if a 99 evaporator is different from an 86?? I hate to pull it back out since it was so hard to get it into the box
Old 04-03-2018, 01:42 PM   #6
Denisefwd93

Vehicle Year: 1993
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT 4X4
I use this vehicle for: daily driver maybe off road someday
Denisefwd93 has a spectacular aura aboutDenisefwd93 has a spectacular aura aboutDenisefwd93 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efordman View Post
Maybe someone can answer this... So my motor swap has went well and an ISSUE​ I'm running into is it sees like the evaporator doesn't fit in the HVAC box. Do anyone know if a 99 evaporator is different from an 86?? I hate to pull it back out since it was so hard to get it into the box
Something like an evaporator, why don't you just get new? it can't be that expensive it would save you some real aggravation in the long term,

part numbers if you look them up, could tell you something but there's so many years between the two, they must be different!
Old 04-09-2018, 05:44 AM   #7
AdirondackRanger

Vehicle Year: 88
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: ranger
I use this vehicle for: u-pull it parts are the best
My credo: I brake for leaves that could be frogs
AdirondackRanger is on a distinguished road

I modified the rear of the box and the front lower hole to put the 99 condenser into the 88 housing. I just cut the oval shaped recess off the back and placed a piece of flat plastic over the back. using sealant to keep the air flow in. then just put silicone over the old lower hole.

The entire system came out of the donor truck unopened.
AdirondackRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 08:34 PM   #8
Efordman

That's what I was thinking about doing if I had another box just in case. The system is still sealed so modifying the box is an option