Home Ford Ranger Forum Builders Guide How To Tech Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Help Forums - Styling & Electrical > Misc Electrical & Gauges

Misc Electrical & Gauges Post your speedometer, gauges, interior and non audio/video questions here.

Old 04-17-2018, 07:26 AM   #1
vbrad511

Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
vbrad511 is on a distinguished road
Default Electric fan conversion

I know the conversion has been covered a few times, but I've got a question I haven't seen addressed. I'm headed to a local yard today to pick up a Taurus fan. Supposedly they're two-speed. Seeing as my truck's a 5-speed I don't need the the trans cooler in the radiator, so I had on old radiator broken down, repaired, reasealed, and put back together, but before it went back together I cut the back half of the cooler off so all that's left are bungs for the fittings. 3/8NPT sensors fit just fine, and will now be in contact with the coolant on the return side. I've got two sets of relays and harnesses for those sensors, too. My big question, Since the fan's two-speed, can I use a lower temp sensor to activate the lower speed on the fan, AND wire in the high speed on the fan to a higher temp sensor? Would there be any conflicting "electrical flow" between the two circuits?
Guess I should also ask...I've seen reference to folks running a diode in the system somewhere. Why would that be needed, and where would it go?
Thanks...
vbrad511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement - Don't want to see the forum ads? Click HERE to find out how to be a Premium Member.

5% Rock Auto Discount Code: 20B2FF503DCF74 Expires: September 28, 2018
Old 04-17-2018, 10:05 AM   #2
ericbphoto
Premium Member

Vehicle Year: 1993
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger, 4X4, "Splash"
I use this vehicle for: around farm, around town, trail riding, rock crawling
My credo: In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
ericbphoto is just really niceericbphoto is just really niceericbphoto is just really niceericbphoto is just really niceericbphoto is just really nice

Yes, you can use different temperature sensors. I am using a single sensor that has 2 different settings in it. Check out the conversion articles in the "how to tech" section of this site. I am using the Mercedes switch mentioned there. The wiring can be figured out. Diodes may or may not be needed depending ok n the circuit diagram you use.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk