• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New V8 Project

gizmo_21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hi Guys, I have been re-searching this for alittle while now, and since i rolled my truck, i am Sorta forced :icon_thumby: to finally do this modification.

I have two Options put together, if you guys have other options... Send me the idea and I'll re-search it!!!

Project Truck: 94 Ranger X-Cab (4.0L 5-Speed) * 2" BL For Additional Clearence!

Option #1:

Donar - 96 Ford Explorer

This option will make the final truck an automatic. :sad:

- Use Engine, AODE, Adapter from Advanced and Mate it to my existing T-Case

- Require Steering Column and Modification of Shift Linkages

- Uses Stock Cross member Location:headbang:

- No Drive Shaft Modification :icon_thumby:

* VSS is Mechanical in the 94, but the 96 uses a mechanical/mated with a Electrical VSS, However, I think the 94 Mechanical VSS plugs right into the existing VSS Hole on the AODE (hopefully... Still need confirmation)

* No Anti Theft Device :headbang:

* I think i still Modify the V8 Harness as explained in the Tech Section (hopefully... Still need confirmation)

* Oil Filter i'm still working on, as there might be another option out there... I'll report back on what i end up doing!

* Not Sure about the Tach re-wire Either Hopefully I just use the Info in the Tech Section (Still need confirmation)

Option #2:

Donar: 96 Explorer/1995 F-150

Engine: Explorer
Trany: Mazda R2 - F150
T-Case: BM1354

This option will Keep my truck Standard & 5-Speed :yahoo:

- Use Adapter from Advanced (tranny to T-case)

- Not sure if this will Keep the Stock T-Case Location, But I think it does (hopefully... Still need confirmation)

- Still Confirming if the Tranny Will Bolt up directly to the Explorer V8 (i'm pretty Sure if i use a 4.6L F150 it'll bolt up to the 5.0L Explorer :icon_confused: I have asked around and I have been getting different answer's however i'll check my alldata and see but still confirming)

***** Once Confirmaed all of the Above i'll Know if there is any Driveshaft Modifications (I Hope NOT:icon_twisted:)

* Will have to Move Shifter hole in the Cab 2"

* Same Wiring Modifications will Apply as above... Still must confirm if they are similar when using a 94 Ranger...

So What do you guys see as Potential Problems? (So i can re-search Now and Make Sure)

Any Advice from people who have done similar Swaps as VSS and Tach Signal's???

Well Thanks For taking alook at my Long Post!!!! Hopefully this all works out!!!

Ry

gizmo_21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Update*

Regarding Option #2:

Apparently the Mazda M5R2 From a V8 4x4 F150 <96 (I had this wrong) with a Top Plate (shifter Cover) off a 97+ will mate with the Engine and use the same hole!!!! Then use the Adapter from advanced to your stock T-Case!!!

Excellent 1 down a few to go!!!!

gizmo_21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Okay things are starting to change!!!!

- The junkyard selling the explorer now wants more money (i guess because i've been out there 4 times :D grabbing part numbers to ensure the right engine, tranny etc) o well Driving home i noticed a sticker in a windshield for a......

1994 F-150 4x4 with a 302 and A M5R2 5-Speed Tranny and a BW1546 T-Case!!!! (Guy was really good let me take all the number etc...)

I was up till late reading and seaching for F-150 but there's little info? (well i was pretty tired but) Is this because it's a difficult swap?

- Most prefer mustangs (but F-150 are just as easy to come by) :icon_confused:

- I'm still learning and researching!!! I printed all the wiring diagrams for the ranger now and marked (almost all on the ranger)
- Signal for oil pressure gauge.
- Ignition Power - feeds TFI. (Crank & run.)
- Signal to PCM that engine is cranking. (Crank only.)
- Signal to TFI. (Crank only. 3 wire splice)
- Tach signal feed.
- Signal for temp gauge.
- Clutch pedal position switch signal return wire.
- Clutch pedal position switch signal send wire.
- Vehicle Speed Sensor (+) 3 wire splice
- Signal for Check Engine Light
- 02 sensor power. (Run only.)
- Fuel pump power
- Vehicle Speed Sensor (-)
- Back up lamps.

Just searching for the correct engine to put in.... Motor mounts are not a problem (i'm planning on fabing my own any way!)

Any help would be great!

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Glad to someone doing a little research and digging on their own.
F-150 only had 145 hp but torque. Not sure of your intended end use. Usually the intake is too tall on the "F", might clear with the BL. Injection is batch fire rather than sequential. Speed density system also. One good thing you have going with the F-150 is that everything is there, don't know how the wiring would go.
With the Explorer you get the better heads, intake, short front dress and 70 more HP. Most using the Explorer into the early Rangers have gone back to the Mustang ignition, computer and engine wiring to avoid the wiring problems.
Hope this helps a little bit.
Dave

gizmo_21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Glad to someone doing a little research and digging on their own.
F-150 only had 145 hp but torque. Not sure of your intended end use. Usually the intake is too tall on the "F", might clear with the BL. Injection is batch fire rather than sequential. Speed density system also. One good thing you have going with the F-150 is that everything is there, don't know how the wiring would go.
With the Explorer you get the better heads, intake, short front dress and 70 more HP. Most using the Explorer into the early Rangers have gone back to the Mustang ignition, computer and engine wiring to avoid the wiring problems.
Hope this helps a little bit.
Dave
MAC!!! Thank you (ya i've been reading the TRS for years and even though i don't post alot i hate people who come into a great thread and ruin it by asking a question that was answered 2 pages back...... Drives me nuts... although sometimes yes it does happen but... come on lol hahaha)

K That's why people stayed away (HP is on everyone's mind and heck a 4.0L stock makes 160 HP so why change... ) I think i'll ditch that then... I'll stop by on the way home and tell him i'm most likely not intrested anymore (he was awesome... he was going to hold it for me while i figured the parts out Anyone looking for a F150 i'll send you his contact)

Alright back on track then....

The Seach again for a 1996 Explorer (Mustangs for me are hard to find... my brother has one and he always is ssaying that... too many people round here want them...)

Wiring Problems with the explorer harness???, Are your refering to the Pats and VSS? Or finding the Signal for oil pressure gauge,Ignition Power, Signal to PCM, Signal to TFI, Tach signal feed etc... or have i not re-seached enough :icon_confused: (most likely:icon_idea:) hehe still new... :icon_thumby:

Wait, I remember reading about i might have to flash the computer since i'm changing it to a five speed... hmmm maybe i'll run by the local ford and see their input (and if they do it :D ) Is that what your referring to?

Thanks again

Last edited:

alaskan155

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 2000
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
7.3l/4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
the 97+ 4.2l v6 tranny will work on the 5.0, and comes in 4x4 97-03

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Flashing the computer for the 5-speed is usually done. Not sure about the '96' Explorer computer but the '97' has 104 pin connections, some feed into the dashboard (speedometer). Not reffering to any specfic circuit. Think the '93' Mustang computer only has 60 some pins. Problem comes in with trying to combine the OBDI with the OBDII system. I've got the '97' Explorer wiring scaning in if you would need it.
Dave

gizmo_21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
the 97+ 4.2l v6 tranny will work on the 5.0, and comes in 4x4 97-03
Hey Thank you for looking into that!!! Much appreciated!!!!

Flashing the computer for the 5-speed is usually done.
OOOO k thank you... now i won't look like such a noob and the ford dealer :yahoo:

Not sure about the '96' Explorer computer but the '97' has 104 pin connections,
Also, From what i've read the 96 and 97 Are the same 98+ change (Pats and VSS... returnless fuel rail's the lot) and Ya looking at the diagrams.... 104 different items sucks... I'm sorta finding a pattern so far.... :bawling:

Problem comes in with trying to combine the OBDI with the OBDII system.
Thank you.... Now my Friday night is going to be spent on a computer lol.... More research!!!!!! I shall report back with this now... :icon_confused: I know with the VW I had troubles changing this (converted a 1.8L to a 2.0L Soon turbo!!!)... however the E-Box'es on the jetta were the same... the only difference really was a second o2 sensor???? I guess that's differnt for a FORD (maybe... hope not):icon_idea:

I've got the '97' Explorer wiring scaning in if you would need it.
Ya lost me here!!! lol Sorry "wiring scanning in" :icon_confused: i know this is what everybody most likely calls it... but i'm new be gentle lol are you reffering to pin outs? And since a 96-97 should be the same... I will gladly accept :icon_thumby:

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
Good luck with the research. Try www.fordfuelinjection.com for lots of info on Mustang and other EFI setups.
Harwood performance.com was very helpful, too, once you figure out what you're using.

I just put a Mustang 5.0 into my '97 Ranger. The wiring was by far the easiest part. (Ranger had 104 pins as mentioned, 60 for the Mustang)

Just labeled every wire on the mustang harness (easy when you have the EVTM's) and every wire on the Ranger Engine harness.

I retained the engine-side of the Ranger harness plug, and spliced each wire from the various mustang connectors into it. Like you said, it was only about 15 wires or so. And I did it all in my living room...
I believe the Explorer requires much less soldering, just plugs in. (same connector) Likely needs a couple pins moved, but I've never looked into it.
If you're willing to do the research, the wiring is easy.

gizmo_21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Ya, I found that website last night, Was going through everything based on the F-150 :annoyed: Now thanks to MAC:icon_thumby: i've ditched that... but that website doesn't have much for the explorer harnesses :dunno: but i'm checking the OBDII information tonight (it might have some :dunno:)

Just labeled every wire on the mustang harness (easy when you have the EVTM's) and every wire on the Ranger Engine harness..
Ya i'm using alldata to supply the EVTM (haha My Kicthen is covered with taped together wiring diagrams and many many highlighters!!!!!) :icon_thumby:

I believe the Explorer requires much less soldering, just plugs in. (same connector) Likely needs a couple pins moved, but I've never looked into it.
If you're willing to do the research, the wiring is easy.
I have my fingers crossed!!! I just finished figureing out the ranger info (hence the mess on my kitchen) next it's time to figure out the 5.0L side... Well 96 Explorer :icon_thumby: Then see about the ODB information!!!

This is great guys!!!!

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sorry to confuse things but I meant I had at least the ECU wiring diagram scanned in for the '97' Explorer 5.0.
Good questions, keep them coming.
Dave

gizmo_21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Sorry to confuse things but I meant I had at least the ECU wiring diagram scanned in for the '97' Explorer 5.0.
Good questions, keep them coming.
Dave
I will gladly except if you still have those diagrams :yahoo: Thank YOU!!!!!!!

rliversidge@hotmail.com

Also, Do you own a BII... your starting to sound like a guy from another fourm?? (not to kiss ass, but the guy i'm bugging there is a genious!!!!:icon_bounceblue: and i'm the youngster picking the brain waaaaaahahahahaha) Edit: I looked at your Sig... no bronco II lol NM

Thanks again!!!!

Last edited:

gizmo_21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Okay Small Update:

Regarding Option #1:

I have now learned they make a shift kit for the AODE??????? Therefore I buy the shift kit and the AA adapter and walla <-- haven't confirmed if the wiring will be a issue as there might a computer message for shifting but will confirm that later.... this is great news as i might not have to hunt for a F-150 Transmission!!!

Here is the website: http://www.rjays.com/Lokar/Lokar-Shifters.htm

Has anybody had any luck with these???

Last edited:

gizmo_21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys,

Just a little update, didn't get to much time to run through the wireing yet, was really busy swaping an engine in my volkswagen

However, Here is a picture of my new truck that the body is getting swapped!!

The V8 is next!!!:icon_thumby:

Also, I moved the truck up North (here is how she sits now) HAHA It's a mess in the shop that Volkswagen is certainly taking up my time!!!!

Last edited:

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Nice looking truck for the swap! Define moving up North? Can I borrow that garage for a couple of years? I could really go silly with that much room!
Dave

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals