• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Engine upgrade advice

whynotthinkwhynot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I just finished a head gasket job on my 91 3.0 Aerostar. We use the van as a work van, so we want as much power as we can get. I port matched the intakes, intake ports, and exhaust ports.

We have another engine, a 95 from a Taurus, but we're not ready for it just yet.

What I'm wondering about is how well the MAP sensor computer would handle me putting 1.7 rockers, or possibly a higher lift cam when I rebuild the roller cam engine?

We want to get as much power as can in the work van without spending an arm and a leg.

Thanks in advance!!:icon_thumby:

coffee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The computer handles the 1.7 rockers without a problem, but it sure is nice to get a SCT X3 programmer after the install. I got one from Rogue Performance. I sent him my set up and he custom tuned 3 performance programs (one for each grade of gas). The programmer also reads/resets trouble codes, eliminates speed and rev limiter and will calibrate the speedo for tire size changes. With a laptop the X3 will data log your performance and can be reprogrammed to meet your needs.

whynotthinkwhynot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'll have to email Fred and see if that thing even works on OBD1.

Yours is a bit newer than mine, and you have MAF instead of MAP- plus SFI instead of MPI. You probably have 2 O2 sensors as well- whereas I only have one.

Fred is a good person to ask questions like this. Thanks for the advice!!

coffee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Actually I have 4 O2 sensors. I don't believe the X3 will work for you, but there probably chips available. If anyone knows, it WILL be Fred.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
coffee, your engine management system is a completely different animal than whynotthinkwhynot's. there are very few options for tuning an EEC-IV computer short of having a custom chip burnt to your specifications (i believe bama chips can do this, provided you have a J3 service port).

ive heard of speed density computers having drivability problems after the installation of a lumpier cam. i would imagine the 1.7 rockers would be enough to throw it off.

if it were me, i would either swap in a 4.0 (shouldnt be too hard), or just leave it like it is.

whynotthinkwhynot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the answers everyone!

I'm not sure if the 3.0 and 4.0 have the same bell housing pattern. I don't think so. Maybe if I find a transmission, but 3.0 engines are easier to come by than 4.0 harnesses in Aerostars. Although, I'm wondering what could be different in the harnesses if I use the same control system. I might be able to get away with just swapping a MAP and ECU.

Last edited:

Beef52751

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
your correct, the bellhousing are different.
Beef

coffee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Unfortunately, I had the problem before I put the 1.7 rockers in it. I went through the conversion to the rockers, headers,cat back, and X3 programmer (from Fred at rougue performance) to get rid of the codes. I got the codes, according to the now out of business Ford dealer due to my K&N.

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
the only way a k&n will throw codes is if its overoiled and gets oil on the maf, other than that i dont see how coffee. ive never heard of the oil stopping up an iac or gunking up on the throttlebody shaft making it stick but i guess its possible if its dumped on there...

whynotthinkwhynot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
^^ Nah, oil got on the wire in the MAF. It's uber common on other car forum sites I belong to where swapping air intakes is the first thing everyone does. MAF cleaner is for sale- basically alcohol and compressed air- at most parts stores now. I clean my MAF (on my Focus) any time I notice a change in fuel economy that can't be explained otherwise. I cleaned the MAF on my 97 Aerostar and my mileage went from a horrid 15 to a more acceptable 19, and even 21 with better fuel- both 87.

Oil is not going to affect an IAC, and it's not going to affect a TB shaft- however there will be all sorts of black buildup on your TB shaft which is not related to your air intake choice. This comes from the oil breather, and on both my Focus and my 97 I use an inline fuel filter to filter out some of the burnt carbon coming off the top of the engine.

I've not noticed any loss of high rpm power as a result, however if you're in racing you might want to consider an electric crankcase vacuum pump to supplement the system as well as replacing the stock breather tube for a simple breather filter venting into the atmosphere.

coffee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It has been the gremlin from hell. I never overoiled the filter (I've used them for about 15 years). I clean the MAF at everyoil change with electronic circuit cleaner until I found MAF cleaner. I just think think the dealer couldn't figure it out and just used the the K&N as a scapegoat. When I would reset the code at the parts store the codes would take a couple of days to come back (hot and cold weather alike). The dealer said they reset it three times and the code kept coming up immediately. I guess that will be a forever mystery just like area 51. I replaced O2 sensors, did plug changes, pulled hoses, checked for vac leaks, felt like I spent $100 on cleaners and anything else I could think of instead of driving a new truck over it. Oh well, Fred at Rouge Performance and the X3 fixed all of that. Wraps up a lot quicker and no codes.

coffee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
There's got to be something going on. I talked with a friend that has a machine shop where I use to help rebuild heads, told me he has been seeing quite a few 3.0 head with the exhaust valves sunk in the because of lean conditions. He said he has fixed the heads off of two vehicles because the lean condition wasn't fixed. We all know what lean and rich does but what's so ellusive about this?:icon_twisted:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals