• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A/C light not coming on, clutch not engaging.

Long Roof

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I'm helping my buddy work on his $700 1994 Ranger. Well the A/C wasn't working, decided to recharge it. I noticed the clutch wasn't engaging. Then noticed the little A/C light on the controls wasn't coming on. The blower motor works and all that just no A/C power. Checked all the fuses and stuff. Bad controls? What do you guys think?

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
The system won't really "charge" without the compressor operating. Among the several things that could be wrong with it, is not enough referigerant in the system, to allow the pressure switch to close.

Long Roof

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
The system won't really "charge" without the compressor operating. Among the several things that could be wrong with it, is not enough referigerant in the system, to allow the pressure switch to close.
Yeah, we noticed the compressor wasn't working while we were trying to recharge it. But now we're trying to figure out the electrical issue or whatever it might be.

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If the refrigerant is low, you can jumper the two wires in the low pressure switch to make the compressor suck in the refrigerant. If it's that low, I'd add a can with the oil in it FIRST.

The LP switch should be right on/by the accumulator/filter/dryer.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
If the light isn't going on, it's a bad control. That light says absolutely nothing about the compressor. If it did, people would be constantly complaining about how it isn't on all the time.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals