• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

can you pull pan without pulling engine out?

john gore

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 91 explorer with a 4.0 in need to pull the pan, and was wanting to know if anyone knows if it can be pulled without removing the engine? I was thinking I could un bolt moter mounts and lift engine enough to unbolt pan and slide it out.

Has anyone done this before? any help would be appreciated.
thanks

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
It can be done by lifting the motor, but it is much easier to just pull it.

You will thank yourself if you DON'T try and change it with the motor in the truck.

john gore

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual

Joshs93four-oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L/245CID
Transmission
Manual
I'm doing the same thing to an f-150 right now. Remove the fan, shroud, engine mount bolts, starter, and you may have to remove the y-pipe or you risk cracking the manifolds. When all that is done, I'm not sure on a Ranger but you may have to remove the transmission crossmember in order to drop the exhaust all the way down if needed to clear the pan. When you lift the engine up dont break you upper plenum by wedging it against the firewall either. Good luck! Josh
________
Yamaha ttr250

Last edited:

reno

Reaction score
I have a 91 explorer with a 4.0 in need to pull the pan, and was wanting to know if anyone knows if it can be pulled without removing the engine? I was thinking I could un bolt moter mounts and lift engine enough to unbolt pan and slide it out.

Has anyone done this before? any help would be appreciated.
thanks
Ask yourself this first...........How am I going to lift the engine? What if I need to remove the oil pump to help clear the pan? Answer both of those, trust me there is one key factor playing against you in both Questions. I'll check back and see what those answers of yours are.

woodyedmiston

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Pull the motor!

First - why are you pulling the pan? Oil leak?

Second - having pulled the motor - it's easier than you think. If you can beg, borrow or steal a hoist, go that route.

Third - having pulled the motor more than once - I have no idea how you can pull the pan in the space available. I'm curious if you could get the oil pickup out from under the windage tray with so little room? Personally I wouldn't try it unless I had a lift to pick the car up. In my driveway - no way. On balance, if it is do-able (w/o pulling the motor), it's probably less work to remove the motor.

Totalled

Law Enforcement
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
8 rabid gophers
Transmission
Automatic
You have to lift the motor AND pull the transmission to have enough room to get the oil pan completely out... otherwise you'll only have about 2" or so between the oil pan and black rails to work in...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals