• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Broke transmission line in half

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/75/14
I was replacing the radiator and i thought the bolt was coming loose when in actually i was bending the transmission cooler line and it snapped. So i was wondering could i just get a Brass compression union and put it back or could I just get a rubber transmission line and do 2 compression fittings ?

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My ’92 has half rubber lines up front, mated to metal going back to the tranny. Apparently, this was a modification that the PO made, using hose clamps to join the two. Leaks like a b@tch. I’ve been trying like anything to find metal replacement lines for the whole runs, with no luck whatsoever. One of the other members here (adsm08) recommended that I make my own lines from metal brake line tubing (which I have no time for) and had the following to say about compression fittings:

"Compression fitting will work, but they aren't ideal. They can let go of the line if the pressure is too high, or if the condition of the metal is degraded, which is why I don't like them. Brake lines routinely handle a few thousand PSI, and so should be more than enough for the trans system where max pressure is around 300 PSI."

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
The cooler lines handle no where near 300psi. They are fed from the pump, and the only pressure is that which is needed to flow the fluid uphill on its way back to the transmission.

At AAMCO, and I suspect other shops, the lines were joined using fuel-proof hose. I think it was fuel line made with reinforcing fibers embedded. To be more sure they would not blow apart, double clamps were applied in some instances. You can also use a drift or alignment dowel to flare(bell) the end of the cut tubing, which would make it more difficult for the tubing to slide off the metal tube.
Even a twisted line will carry a high percentage of its original full diameter, so don't be overly concerned if it is distorted. As long as it is not crushed, it should work properly.
tom

ADD: Do NOT use vacuum line with no reinforcement. One installer did that, and it blew apart halfway across Texas, cooking the transmission. He did not repeat that mistake.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
If the metal is still good you can use a compression fitting, although in my mind any repair involving a compression fitting is less than ideal, and should be considered temporary.

Personally I would flare the end of the first good section and either use brake unions to install a new piece of line or use rubber hose and a barb fitting to complete it, as long as there are provisions for the line to be secured somewhere so it isn't bouncing all over.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/75/14
thanks guys! the metal is still in very good shape so im going to try a compression fitting, it will be temp till i go to junkyard or make a new line to replace entire line.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals