• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Painting bed cap

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
Going to rattle can paint this cap mocha Frost is available which is the color of my 94 supercab.

As you can see in the photos a lot of the clear coat has peeled off I'm not planning on taking it all off,. Experience tells me it's not worth the trouble. Just going to feather edge and prime.

https://www.amazon.com/Dupli-Color-BFM0316-Metallic-Exact-Match-Automotive/dp/B00407X7YK

Using DupliColor products, which primer should I use? is my first question.

Last edited:

drlewistwo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
how did it come out?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Oh! I got sidetracked, still sanding, took off most of the paint and clear off the top and the sides, I'm beginning to realize the futality of taking it all down to the fiberglass,

Picked up white primer, and the base coat matches the truck almost perfectly! I have since become aware of spraymaxx K2 clear coat, pretty cool stuff very hard, which is what we need for clear coat.

Last edited:

drlewistwo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I was thinking of painting mine ( its white, truck is red)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I never bothered painting my cap, but I took off most of the peeling clear with my pressure washer.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Hours & hours.... 120, 220, 400, grits. Almost ready for primer!

( Although it may take me a week to do all the masking, then a storm will come up and blow it all off of course LOL)

Using Dupli-Color white sandable primer which should be scrubbed with 600 or Scotch-Brite. In prep of "mocha Frost "

This person rated DupliColor clear coat over spraymax clear coat, kind of surprised me, but I'm going to go DupliColor clear.

http://carunderstanding.com/best-clear-coat-for-cars/

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It's going to look new! You'll never find it in a parking lot....

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
I'm really getting antsy to start using this truck now that I finally have the pinched O2 sensor harness fixed.

Kind of trying for my last hurrah kinda sorta with this truck. I'll be 70 in July even though I look like I'm ....45 "ahem" my little sis is 61 and she gets carded LOL

This baby is going to look so good on top!

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Canoe; restored or built? Looks good!

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Canoe; restored or built? Looks good!
It's about 18 years old I designed it my son and I built it, we built & restored seven or eight. It actually is possible to build something new that looks old lol

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
Just as an FYI the K2 clear coats give a thicker clear coat than the standard rattle can clear coats due to the fact it is actual auto body clear coat. This allows for buffing out any scratches that may happen, maybe from putting your canoe on top. Add the fact they come with what many auto body men refer to as the perfect p*ssy spray pattern ( identical to a paint gun) from the nozzle makes spraying so much easier and even with better coverage than a standard rattle can. They also have primer the same way, which I love using for changing body panel colors after replacement either new or junk yard. The major downfall is cost, it is expensive but IMO it is well worth the cost.

If you get a chance to try a can I recommend you give it a shot and compare the results to decide for yourself. Great job on the cap by the way. You must put up pics once it is finished and on.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Thanks! I may still use K2, I'm having real problems in my backyard with even the slightest Breeze I'm going to have to wrap the enclosure and keep the wind out.
Just as an FYI the K2 clear coats give a thicker clear coat than the standard rattle can clear coats due to the fact it is actual auto body clear coat. This allows for buffing out any scratches that may happen, maybe from putting your canoe on top. Add the fact they come with what many auto body men refer to as the perfect p*ssy spray pattern ( identical to a paint gun) from the nozzle makes spraying so much easier and even with better coverage than a standard rattle can. They also have primer the same way, which I love using for changing body panel colors after replacement either new or junk yard. The major downfall is cost, it is expensive but IMO it is well worth the cost.

If you get a chance to try a can I recommend you give it a shot and compare the results to decide for yourself. Great job on the cap by the way. You must put up pics once it is finished and on.

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
Having painted before, both in a garage and outside, I must say having an enclosed area, minus a fan for ventilation, has the best results. It looks like ,from your pics, you are using an easy-up style cover as a prep and paint area. Just a word of caution be sure to leave plenty of room for you to comfortably walk around it bent over with your face towards the cap. This will help with spraying and if the wind gusts and moves the side tarps/covers. I have bumped a fresh paint job by accident and hated myself for it.

Maybe you have access to two pop-ups to put together to gain more access room? You can use a small tarp folded and cloths pinned to the tops of each to keep wind, rain and worst of all dust out while drying.

A story of mine on bad painting experiences. I was helping my brother paint is toyota pickup in the garage. Not 10 mins after finishing we popped open the door to go out and a dragon fly flew in. Well this sucker goes right for the rafters and proceeds to knock down a bunch of dust all over the hood, roof and bed. Needless to say we could not get it all out and that is a lot of work to redo so he buffed out what he could but needless to say the paint was forever ruined and was sold yeas later with the dust still in it. My point to sharing this story is be extra cautious from the time you start your paint prep, like your cleaning solvents before and after primer, till the paint is fully cured.

Just curious are you planning on wet sanding your base coat?

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Having painted before, both in a garage and outside, I must say having an enclosed area, minus a fan for ventilation, has the best results. It looks like ,from your pics, you are using an easy-up style cover as a prep and paint area. Just a word of caution be sure to leave plenty of room for you to comfortably walk around it bent over with your face towards the cap. This will help with spraying and if the wind gusts and moves the side tarps/covers. I have bumped a fresh paint job by accident and hated myself for it.

Maybe you have access to two pop-ups to put together to gain more access room? You can use a small tarp folded and cloths pinned to the tops of each to keep wind, rain and worst of all dust out while drying.

A story of mine on bad painting experiences. I was helping my brother paint is toyota pickup in the garage. Not 10 mins after finishing we popped open the door to go out and a dragon fly flew in. Well this sucker goes right for the rafters and proceeds to knock down a bunch of dust all over the hood, roof and bed. Needless to say we could not get it all out and that is a lot of work to redo so he buffed out what he could but needless to say the paint was forever ruined and was sold yeas later with the dust still in it. My point to sharing this story is be extra cautious from the time you start your paint prep, like your cleaning solvents before and after primer, till the paint is fully cured.

Just curious are you planning on wet sanding your base coat?
I'm pretty amazed how quickly DupliColor dries within 20 minutes you can touch it, I'm actually thinking of taking the cap to somebody I know that can shoot it, if he's still around.

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
Duplicolor is great in that aspect! :yahoo: It allows for quick reapplication times. It is much better than automotive paint dry times but the coat is so much thinner forcing the need for more applications for durability. I just wish I could find my color from them. Out of all there colors they just don't have the code GA which is Medium Aubergine. :annoyed:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals