• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

302 (5.0L) V8 Swap

RedneckRanger69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 L V6
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys its been awhile, anyway, I've got a 2001 Ford Ranger XLT (2WD) with the 3.0L V6 in it and I want to do a 302 (5.0L) Swap, I am looking at these high performance 302 engines on the internet that are completely borred out and built for high performance conditions, the only thing is, most of these engines came from cars that were built back in the 1970's and 80's. I have a 2001 Ford Ranger, and I was wondering what year 302 (5.0L) V8 engine would be the best to swap into my truck. Should the engine come from an Explorer, or a Mustang, or can I do any model of 5.0L engine. I also need to know everything that i need in order to complete the swap, and a rough estimate on how much its all going to cost. Im kind of new to engine swaps so if any of ya'll 5.0L junkies can help me out, that would be pretty cool, Thanks,
Stephan

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
there are all kinds of issues doing a 302 into a 2001......... I would use the explorer engine to keep the OBD2.

jaymegriffiths

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
there are all kinds of issues doing a 302 into a 2001......... I would use the explorer engine to keep the OBD2.
The guy is asking what engine to put in. No offence but im gonna say obd is goin out the window. Seriously unless you have another DD dont even bother trying. I'd love to do one too, i just cant live without my truck for 2 months. nor do i wanna wire up a fuel injected one, even though it would be better in the long run. seriously dude check the sticky's and do your homework. Price out what you need, dont rush. You'll just demotivate yourself. Have fun and WHEN you do it make sure and upload lots of pics so we can see your work!
(oh and hint that whole "I'm kinda new to engine swaps" will haunt you forever. Seriously, some people will not let that go)

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I know a guy in Iowa who did the whole drive train swap from an Explorer into his 2000 Ranger in a week. Took another week to sort thru some minor issues. Pick the right year Ranger and which Explorer computer/wiring to use and it's not hard at all.
Dave

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
If you're starting with an 01 Ranger, go look for a complete 01 V8 Explorer and swap away.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals