• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Putting 8 lug wheels on a ranger

Jimmyrig

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
It ain't stuck till it don't move
Was rolling this around in my head so I figured I'd put it on here and get some opinions. I have access to tons of good mud tires in 16" and 16.5, and have stacks of 8 lug wheels laying around. I've checked out adapters and $300 bucks is not gonna happen. I'm thinking about plating in the centers on a set of old steelies and drilling them to tit my ranger. For off road, in the mud use only. It's questionable that they would ever exceed 15-20 mph. Balance wouldn't be an issue, and they would never see pavement. I'm cheep, not stupid. Half the tires I have would be questionable for highway use due to age, sidewall cuts and so on. But all would be fine for playing in the mud pit at my buddy's house. Any input or personal experience? Horror stories?

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Shit Happens...Then You Die.
I'd just do some horse trading and avoid the hassle. If your time is worth absolutely nothing, then go for it. I can think of better ways to waste it.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
A long time ago I had a 1954 chevy one ton truck. Someone previous to me cut the centers out of the 8 lug rims and fitted [welded] them into 15" rims for the front. I'm not sure how they did it but I suspect a big lathe. I drove that truck for years and never had a problem balancing tires.

And you may be able to custom make your own rims. I saved this link for my own use some time ago but if you search the site I'm sure you can find the rim and center combo you want.
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Wheel-Shell-15-x-8,218.html

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
A long time ago I had a 1954 chevy one ton truck. Someone previous to me cut the centers out of the 8 lug rims and fitted [welded] them into 15" rims for the front. I'm not sure how they did it but I suspect a big lathe. I drove that truck for years and never had a problem balancing tires.
We do that for weird old farm equipment all the time. Things that have been laying in the dirt for 50+ years so the rim is shot but the "correct" wheel center is fine with their goofy bolt pattern, shape and/or offset.

Might be an excuse for an axle swap though...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals