• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What to do with aging explorer

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Ok, so I haven't been over here very much. I've asked a few questions here and there. I love this forum. It's fantastic. Now, I must ask a few more questions regarding my aging explorer. Its a '91 5 speed with most likely over 220K miles on the original engine. I now have some exhaust issues that need dealt with. I'm sure its an easy fix, sounds like a rattle, probably something that's rusted through underneath and is now loose.
My question(s): would it be easier to just DIY the exhaust rattle, especially if its just a broken hanger or a rusted shield, and sell the beast for a newer model X OR would it be worth it to restore the beast with a different motor? I know the 5.0's will fit, tight, but they'll fit, are there any other engines that fit the 1st gens? I'm not hung up on this one, I mean, I like it for camping trips, and general driving, its my daily driver. If I DO sell, I'd like to buy another X. Any newer years that don't have too many problems?

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
The 4.0s a great motor and if you're good to it, it'll be good to you. I say fix the exhaust and drive it til the wheels fall off.

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
LOL! I don't want the wheels to fall off haha. JK. I'm sure the exhaust problem is an easy enough fix. Guess I can just run it til it dies, then get a newer X. I now run it with full synthetic oil, and it still leaks a little, but not really that bad. I'm not sure which is gonna go first, the clutch or the tranny, cuz both are probably original and both are not what they should be lol. Probably part it out when one of those things happen. Thanks.

jovibuilt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1993 with 312,896 miles.Still going strong.With proper care they last forever.

movin97explorer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Can always pick up a spare Ex for parts....or at least something else to drive while working on yours. I'm at 193k on mine, and thats my plan...find a suitable DD to use when mine needs major surgery(she's running fine currently, though!)

Andres629

Article Contributor
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985/91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 screamer
Transmission
Automatic
Both Expo's I've ever had developed the same rattle... it's likely going to be one of the heat shields on the cats. All I did was grab it and bend back and forth 'til it broke off. Problem solved! No more rattle.

Keep the Ex, I regret selling mine, 'til I bought a Ranger. haha!

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
312K? Holy ****! I didn't think these motors ran that long. Mine has a stripped spark plug hole from when the rear passenger side plug spat out while I was driving. We put anti-seize on it, and tightened that sucker good, and its not done that since, and this has been at least 6-7 months now. I think I'm past 220K miles now. Had to replace my speedo, so no idea what the mileage is now.

I'm kinda partial to the SUV style myself ;)

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I'm not so sure what I wanna do with it. If I sell it, I may end up with something else that has more problems than mine....if I keep it....I'm going to end up spending ALOT of money to fix it the way I want it. Would it even be worth restoring such an old vehicle?

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
It's really not that old.. What exactly are you looking for?

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I'm trying to figure out the cost vs benefit of keeping a 20 year old vehicle running. I have no idea how much it will take to keep it running, vs selling it now and getting a newer model. I'd really love a late 90's model, but if it's going to be better to just keep mine going, then I will do that. I just don't know where I wanna go from here....decisions, decisions lol.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
You can helicoil the plug hole just use grease on the threader so none falls in the cylinder. Most muffeler shops will show you whats wrong and give you an estimate for free. Then you can at least get a better price or hold onto it your choice.

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
In the long run, you can swap motors 5x for the cost of a new vehicle. I think its worth keeping, but it all depends on how you feel about the vehicle. Newer vehicles are more efficient, but once you include the payments cost of the vehicle itself your talking a longtime before it pays itself off.

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Well, I wouldn't buy a new explorer, they cost wayyy too much for me lol. I love my ex...I just want to be sure I'm doing the right thing by keeping it vs selling it.

Andres629

Article Contributor
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985/91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 screamer
Transmission
Automatic
I'd keep it if I were you. But i'm not you, all I can do is say that parts for it are cheap and easy to come by for the most part. With a little practice and some relatively basic tools, you can do pretty much all you need to on that vehicle.

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, and I do like it. Its sturdy, and just right for me. I've already put into it at least double the amount of cash that I paid for it: $1375. The tires for it alone were almost $800 brand new...so yeah, I've got a good amount of money into it already...not that that would stop me from selling it if I had to, but I don't have to. I think I will keep it, and fix things as they come up...then get things going the way I want it ;)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals