• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dual Battery Install, Alternator and Alternator Wiring Upgrade

Ranger#1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
all right mofos :thefinger: this is my crack at adding duel batteries and upgrading everything in between I'm 17 soooooo i like to go camping with the ladies and my friends way the **** in the middle of nowhere :icon_rofl: so if you want to crank the tunes ur gonna need a designated jump start truck or just prepare yourself :icon_thumby::icon_idea:duel batteries OK well i first started with an eversteart with a 650 cca and it was cool for the average everyday things but when u add amps and more amps and an inverter lights .... it ain't gonna cut it nether is your factory charging system :headbang: unfortunately i started too fast and didn't snap any pix of the ghetto orig wiring but u didn't wanna see that anyway :D so this is the oldest shot of the wiring i have and it was after i added my amps and ran 8ga. to the starter relay and another 8 ga to my offroad lights relay bear with me these were all taken with my phone

thiss worked for a while but with the old 80 sum odd amp alt it wasent good enough for me sooooooo off to get a 95 amp one hers the oldone next to the new one notice the smaller pully is really excited me beacuse thiss will take care of the problen of my voltage needle droping during idle

when i first bolted it in and put the belt

the new one is a 95 amp off my my friends exp. it has a post posative vs a plug in style which is exactly what i wanted for later but for now this is the wiring conversion i had to do all i had to do is put eylets on the two posative wires and one to the slot [blue wire]

Last edited:

Ranger#1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
this ran good for a while until i added lights and more amp :thefinger: lol soooo
i busted out the heavy shit lol

this is when i decided to run 4 ga away from the alt and to the battery it was a huge undertaking cause i ripped out all the old 10 ga factory wiring to make the new stuff look clean
old harness

more old harness but on the fuse block side

puling them back through the loom

this is where i took one of the 8 ga wires that i had running off the batt and ran it to one of the alt circuits i had just opened up soooo i had fused power running to my off road light relays

organizing the regulator wires one goes where the blue wire went one goes to the pos out on the alt and one goes to switched power

this is running the exciter wire and 4 ga main wire

i had to put a fuse in there somehow

the red is the alt in the blue is going to the batt to feed it all

i moved the ground a little closer shorter cables = more power by lower resistance :headbang:
after doing all this i noticed a big diff with all the loads on :icon_hornsup: way less needle drop :icon_thumby::yahoo:

Last edited:

Ranger#1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
dezign flaw #1 i shoulda ran 2 ga to the batt form the starter relay or better yet 1 ga
dexign flaw #2 that fuse is horrable for duel batt i shoulda used a breaker or diff type of fuse

Frank The Tank

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
You have a huge system? like 150dcb?
when one battery fails, both will.

Frank

Ranger#1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
ahhhh yeas duel batts the bat is an ever start marine/deep-cycle 650 ca
the bracket i welded up real quick out of left over scrap

running the wires the bottom breaker controls the on or off of the aux batt

cleaned up under the hood blue wire goes to the relay and the whole truck the red goes to the starter

sett the bat in and connected everything and bam u got power :icon_thumby::yahoo:

5speedin2.3

May 2012 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
The only problem I see is this. You might want to move that ground wire away from the positive battery terminal.

I just bought one 65 series battery for my truck, its 1000ca and 850cca.

The wiring in this picture is in its rough state, before I ran a 2g wire from the alt and bought a better positive terminal.

Ranger#1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i believe thats what they recomended but they didnt have it in stock arg

Frank The Tank

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
My buddy luke went from dual batteries on his truck to a single (so he could fit twin turbo's) he just went to a yellow-top.

Would a better battery not in-effect achieve the same goal?

Frank

baxtej44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
i would think a very high quality battery and alternator should be just fine.

but dual battery maybe looks cool? i personally know that my under the hood space is already limited enough, and having a battery in the bed is just a waste to me i guess....

Ranger#1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i had an extra good batt so i used it i just like having the abillity of killing one batt and then using the other to fire the truck up

High Desert Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
i had an extra good batt so i used it i just like having the abillity of killing one batt and then using the other to fire the truck up
Where is the 2nd battery tied into the system at? If it's connected directly to the first battery all your gonna do is kill both batteries.

baxtej44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
how often do you kill your battery?
being serious not sarcastic... what do you do that kills it.

Ranger#1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Where is the 2nd battery tied into the system at? If it's connected directly to the first battery all your gonna do is kill both batteries.
u musta not read the entie thing but i have an 80a breaker on it

Ranger#1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
how often do you kill your battery?
being serious not sarcastic... what do you do that kills it.
me and friends will go down to the lake and just relax with the ladies lol and listen to the tunes all night and make a fire and or ill bring the inverter and we will play some ps3i dont kno im just the desganated entertainment man :yahoo: its kinda nice having power in the bed lol i havent had to use it yet but i can think of some ways it can be usefull lol

Ranger#1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
lol noones happy when they get home how thers 3 ov them i dont know it must be the trs sticker =]

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals