• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

So how do you guys do it?

99RangerKrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
So I was just looking through the "Meet the Staff" page and noticed that some of Mods are pretty young, like Brendank69 and Sasquach_Ryda. A couple are full time students, just as I am, and I was just wondering how you all come up with the funding to make such awesome rigs. I know we have a job thread going already, but what does everyone do for that extra cash to support their wheeling habit? I work full time during the summer to make the tuition for the Fall semester, and then I work part time (20ish hours a week) during the school year, and there's no way I'd be able to come up with enough money to do a SAS, motor/tranny swap, etc. I also play poker on the side but I don't bring in a whole hell of a lot doing that (don't lose any though). It's very impressive how some of you guys can build awesome rigs yet still be full time students, way to be.

So anyways, how do you guys do it!?

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
because alot of us are fabricators, have friends who are fabricators, and we bide our time and wait for deals to come up, its possible to build a solid axle, small block 4spd ranger and have it road worthy for under 1500, i know as i have done it

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
i do manwhoring...:annoyed:

:icon_rofl:

Carlos Murphy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Manwhore?

I need a front locker installed, lets ...a... talk, yeah that's it,

talk. :D

Iron Ranger

Run lil' ricer RUN!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
0.040 punched 302
Transmission
Manual
Give me a welder, sharpie, cut-off wheel, and a tape measure and I'll give you a product that'll surpass anything you can buy in a catalog.:D

Seriously..................why would I spend $150 on a hitch and $125 on new shackle mounts when I can do both for $50.

I only spend money on things that are out of my control, like machining:annoyed:

This is my job. Welding on industrial radiators. I make $15/hr and lovin' every minute of it.

What makes us special is that every tube is replaceable. If you hit a rock or a tree and some tubes are damaged, just rip out the ones that are damaged, plug the holes with the supplied plugs, and order new tubes as your rig is still operational.

Saves time and lots of $$$. I wanted to build one for my ranger, or at least for the Baja 1000 trucks, but they only laughed.....................

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9l FI, 2.9L FI, 2.8L
Transmission
Manual
i got a whole 88 crown vic that runs good for almost free($150) all i need is that damn AOD to 1350 adapter and tail shaft.(most money i will spend on this $550)
my BII only cost $250(police auction)
and time....well got lots of that

Destroyer000

January 2009 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0. 4.0 Supercharged
Transmission
Manual
ive got my black 4x4 with TONS of mods done.. ive got my little slammed ranger with a few good upgrades.. a 88 b2 tuff truck and iam working on another tuff truck with a 302.... an i work 24 hours a week at the local grocery store.. as been stated... if you can build it Go for it.. why spend the extra cash if you have the tools/ ability to do it.. thats how ive gotten around with a lot of my projects. best part is if any of your friends need some extra special fabrication done you have the tools to do it an can make a few extra bucks that help pay for the other things.

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I work as a HD mechanic, with full use of our shop after hrs. This allows me access to several tools and discounts that I wouldn't otherwise have. It allows me to be able to fabricate, design and utilize skills I wouldn't have otherwise. It also helps to spend hrs searching forums and for sale site's for cheap parts! I've never paid more then $200 for an axle assembly, and I've traded a lot of parts. I look for parts other people will need that are of no use to me, and use them as bargaining tools to get the stuff I need.

-andrew

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
i work fulltime at the jap crap shop (honda yamaha motorcycle atv utv) and i use my tools from work or the air gun as needed here on lunch or saturdays (shop is closed but the rest of the store is open for 6 hours). my other end is that i hav a friend whose sister i bought my 92 off of for 400 bux w/ a busted tranny, they helped me change it and got parts from jy. i still go out there and work on her here and there on the wknds and they help me as it is a hobby to them and i live in an apt complex that doesnt allow work on vehicles (BOOO MF BOOO!!!) so i balance it out and enjoy it in between. even when i was in votech with my old 93 trk i rebuilt 3 wheeler engines for 60 bux plus parts and fixed chainsaws etc., paid my insurance and bought tires and such with that money. thats a real lesson in responsibility, if i hav a kid thats how id raise him. then again i grew up in a house with a retired army sfc that had me work around the house for a dollar an hour since i was 9, mow the yard till the garden hill potatoes etc. thats how my evening video game habit was born too cuz if i was outside i was workin...and if it was dark i was inside playing couldnt work! lol

Hopman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I work as a HD mechanic, with full use of our shop after hrs. This allows me access to several tools and discounts that I wouldn't otherwise have. It allows me to be able to fabricate, design and utilize skills I wouldn't have otherwise.
-andrew
It's nice that your boss lets you do that. I hope you treat him well and work on his truck too.

flyingbrick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This is my job. Welding on industrial radiators. I make $15/hr and lovin' every minute of it.

What makes us special is that every tube is replaceable. If you hit a rock or a tree and some tubes are damaged, just rip out the ones that are damaged, plug the holes with the supplied plugs, and order new tubes as your rig is still operational.

Saves time and lots of $$$. I wanted to build one for my ranger, or at least for the Baja 1000 trucks, but they only laughed.....................
+1 i'd run a Mesabi in my ranger, except that replacing tubes is murder to your knuckles. I used to work in a rad shop.

All the audio in my truck was payed for by doing side jobs (installing home A/V).

Last edited:

WNY964x4

ASE Master Certified
Supporting Member
Firefighter
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
72-03
Make / Model
Chevy,Ford,BMW
Engine Size
alot of different ones
well i worked all summer , go to school for automotive , have a shop full of lifts and my own toolbox full of tools at my disposal , i do almost all my work my self , in my driveway , in the freezing cold , i shop around for the best deals , i trade for what i can , have friends that are excellent welders to help when i need it , i fab what little i can , and the fact that mom has a student loan for 4x what she needs and it does not have to be paid back kinda helps with little things here and there. I am also looking into a part-time job. It takes alot of time , and even more patience.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals