• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

84 Bronco ii Water in Carb

bronco2blue

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I really feel stupid for this but I bought an 84 bronco 2 and in the process of getting it running I sprayed way too much carb cleaner. The carburetor backfired and everything that had carb spray on it caught on fire. So the carb and lots of wiring underneath it was on fire for a couple minutes before I could put it out. While putting it out some water went directly into the carb.

I haven't ran the truck since. Where is that water sitting at and how can I prevent it from ruining the entire engine? :dunno:

cody93

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
pull the plugs and turn it over, anything in the intake will just blow out the plug holes

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, ^^

Pull out ALL the spark plugs

bronco2blue

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks. After replacing the battery terminals I pulled the plugs and cranked it, then I used an air compressor to blow out the wells. I'm letting it sit to dry some more and then I'm putting in new plugs and a new water pump and see if she will fire up.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
All you need to do is crank on it for a bit for short spurts then put the plugs in and give it a go the sooner you get it started the better. The bare metal parts will rust rather quickly don`t dottle around!

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
It is possible water washed down into the oil pan. Just pull the plug quickly put it back in to bottom drain any water in the pan. Then top it off.

bronco2blue

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I'll run it tomorrow. First I have to replace the water pump. All the coolant I put in immediately leaks out the weep hole.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
If you can do the engine a favor and blast all the rust out of the block whith the water pump off. Remove the upper radiator hose fitting off the intake manifold and blast water down the hole and into the two water pump holes until nothing but clear water comes out. Flush the heater core both ways a few times with high pressure water.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Prestone-Antifreeze-Coolant-Flush-N-Fill-Kit-59060-/361174873173?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5417b33455&vxp=mtr
Get one of these and install it in the heater hose that comes off the intake manifold fitting. I allways test for leaks first so fill the radiator and the just pour water into the heater hose flush fitting until water flows out the radiator cap. That burps the system quicker. Run it and make sure the heater is working and there is no leaks then drain the radiator and fill it with antifreeze. By lifting the heater hose fitting above the radiator and pouring water into the hose is the fastest way to top off the system I have found. If you dont burp it properly you will go through water pumps regularly especially if the thermostat is in the lower radiator hose fitting. Once the heater is working good then you know the bypass is also working. Been three years now and still have gook green coolant in the radiator.

bronco2blue

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the advice on flushing and burping the cooling system. I worked on replacing the water pump today and ran into a couple of setbacks. I couldn't find the belt tensioner pulley anywhere so I just popped the belts off by wedging a screwdriver under them. I also bought a new thermostat but when I removed what I thought was the thermostat housing there was no thermostat inside!

Below is the three bolt housing that connects the water pump and the lower radiator hose. Is this the thermostat housing?

Last edited:

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
The alternator is the tension for that belt and the power steering pump is the other. The power steering is more difficult to adjust but once you get it figured out its not that bad. Take lots of pics as you take it apart. Yes that is the thermostat housing unless you have the two piece housing on the intake manifold. Wen you remove the three bolts there are two housings sandwitched on the water pump the one in the back can be a real bitch to get at but you will need to clean it up good and put new gaskets and I recommend a new bypass hose as well. I wil try and find all the parts you will need to put it together correct. Get a can of permatex aviation gasket maker and give everything a light coat do not use silicone anywhere on the front of the motor or you will be sorry.

bronco2blue

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
When I opened the lower housing there wasn't a thermostat inside. They gave me a square gasket with my thermostat at the parts store that doesn't look like it would fit where the lower thermostat would be. I still haven't removed the old water pump housing but it is unbolted.

Last edited:

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
do you have pics of the upper radiator hose fitting on the intake?

bronco2blue

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I got a 192 degree thermostat. I just need to make sure I put it where it supposed to go. And thanks for the links to the parts.

Here's a pic of the upper radiator hose.

Last edited:

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Yea is was running without a thermostat there is no way to put the thermostat in that housing like a normal car. is that a 195 thermostat you bought?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals