• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rear Locking Axle in 4x4?

RonneyJAyala

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 For now...
Transmission
Manual
Hi, so I have a question that's been pondering on my mind. I have a 92 Ford ranger, v6 4.0 4x4. I want to know when I put my truck in 4x4 does it lock my rear hubs like a limited slip axle? So instead of an open diff, it would be a closed diff? If that makes any sense, I understand very little about this, all I know is last weekend I had my truck in 4x4 ( I was on the dunes ) and the moment I when on the asphalt to go to a different section of the dunes, every time I had to make a 90 degree corner my truck would skip and jump. And without being in 4x4 it doesn't do that.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
You should never be in 4 x 4 on high traction surfaces, it can break stuff. When you are in 4 x 4 the front and rear axles are driven at the same speed, when you turn they need to turn at different speeds which they can't do if you are in four, it just binds up the drive-train. On loose surfaces the tyres can slip a little which prevents this.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
To answer your question, no. Rangers never had a factory locking differential. Its the front axle being engaged thats causing binding and the jerking...

SVT

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
x2 with Ranger SVT.

The reason an "open" differential is there is because tires follow an arc when they turn. These arcs, differ in size. The oustide wheel travels in a longer arc than the inside wheel, thjis means the outside tire has to move faster than the inside wheel in order to end up at the same spot when the turn (arc) is complete. This is what the differential does. It allows the wheels to travel at different speeds.

Limited slips, have clutches or other clever devices to help transfer the torque applied more evenly to both tires. In an open differential there is no torque transfer assistance, thus the cliche "one wheel peel". Power is actually quite lazy. Electricity, flowing water, etc, will ALWAYS take the path of least resistance. Once a wheel slips, it's resistance drops. It's just open for power to go wherever, including up in smoke as heat.

"Closed" diff's (locked/locking diff?) Is where the inner and outer wheels are bound together, they can't differentiate their speed from each other. This is basically what your 4x4 transfer case does, it's a locked differential, one output spins the same speed as the other, regardless of power or traction. The mean path your front tires take is different from the mean path the rear tires take. So in order for power to flow smoothly, you essentially need to have an "open diff" in your transfercase. This is more along the lines of a AWD or "Full Time" Transfer case. Rangers do not have these.

In conclusion, running in 4x4 on high traction surfaces is BAD. The reason your truck would skip and jump while turning is that there is SO much binding force between your front a rear axles it's breaking the traction your tires have. Each time it hops is like a massive clutch dump on a grabby surface. Sure it's ok a few times, but if you keep doing it you're going to break stuff, and it's probably going to be expensive.

Also, Rangers don't have rear hubs, it's a solid shaft. They're always engaged as there's basically no reason to disengage them.

RonneyJAyala

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 For now...
Transmission
Manual
Alright thank you guys! :) I now know not to have my truck in 4 high on high traction surfaces.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals