• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I think I just made a big mistake...

Purple

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Well the rear end carrier on my ranger is toast.

After spending 3 hours getting the carrier out, I noticed some dumbass drilled the locking pin bolt hole out with NO GUIDE.

The carrier is ruined, the threads are fubar and the egg shapped.

So I get on ebay and look for a carrier.

Someone just listed a 7.5 carrier with 3.27 gears from a mustang with 50k miles.

For $65 SHIPPED

I'm thinking...lower gear ratio= better MPG, 50k miles= great gears and bearings.

I buy it and then it dawns on me.

THERE IS NO EXCITER RING FOR ABS. :fie:

So I'm wondering if since it never had one (mustang had 4 wheel ABS), if I can either...

1. Bolt mine on (will it fit).
2. Do with out it.

Also...if one just uses their truck for light use, can you get by with 327 gears, or does one need 373?

TxGasRacer

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 ohv
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
You can try to go with a Helicoil insert they work very well,not sure in your case though.They are not very expensive or go check out your local wrecking yard they should have plenty or carriers to fit that rear end housing.

Purple

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
So school me like an idiot on how to check for what needs replaced on a diff.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
3.27 gears are not all that desirable, and unless you spend your life on the highway, won't get you better MPG. Most Ranger engines don't have the right power band to use those gears properly.

You should be able to install your existing tone ring on the new carrier, it will require removing the ring gear, but that's probably going to be the worst of it.

As for parts that need replaced, if you are rebuilding you should do the pinion bearing and races, and the carrier bearings and races. The wheel bearings are only needed if you are having issues with them, but if you have the axle apart if might not hurt to do them, they are much harder to get out than in.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
There is no close when putting together a differential. Take your time and do all the research necessary. Pinion height, pinon bearing preload, ring gear runout, backlash on the ring and pinion, preload on the carrier bearings. after its all together check the wear pattern on the ring and pinion. If everything checks out install a new crush sleeve and get the pinion preload correct again. The 3.27 gears might be OK with 14 inch tires I put the 3.73LS with 15 inch tires and couldnt be happier. You will need a different speedo gear or you will be driving faster than the speedo says. Not a easy job especially laying on the ground. At the very least put in new axle and yoke seals.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My parents Explorer with 3.27's was a gutless turd on hills with 3.27's. That was with the pushrod 4.0...

If you lived somewhere really flat maybe, they sucked on the highway in my neck of the woods.

Purple

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
So I would probably be better off using the spider gears from the carrier with only 50,000 miles, as mine has well over 150,000?

I will probably just swap out the 3.73 gears on the new carrier. I can probably get a $30 "rebate" if I sell the 3.27 gears after I put my old 3.73 gears back on the carrier.

How long do the main gears last, miles wise?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
How long the ring and pinion last is determined mostly by how well they were cut, and how well they are set up. I had over 200K miles on my original rear axle with no gear noise at all. About 8 years ago, right when the plants for due for retooling, where pretty much all of the 8.8 gears were trash. Almost every F150 with an 8.8 had gear whine in 30K or less.

Setup is key as well. If you make them too tight they will whine, if you make them too loose they will boom.

If they are set up right, cut well, and you keep up with the fluid they should last forever.

Dprocks100

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
+1 vote on ditching the 3.27 gears. I had 3.08 in my ranger from the factory and it was a dog. Got about 21mpg in town on stock tires. Swapped a 4.10 explorer 8.8 in and it woke the truck up. I was still getting about 20-22mpg in town if I kept my foot out of it, but now I could pass someone on the freeway! I love them. My brother has 3.55 gears and even on stock 14" tires it sucked when compared to my truck with 4.10s. Throw the 3.73's back in, 3.27 arent worth it in my opinion.

Purple

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Ok...I got the carrier today.

The internal gears (side and pinion gears) are SMALLER than the ones off my ranger.

I know the ring gear and main pinion gear are different with different gear ratios, but I did not know that the gears in the carrier themselves are a diff size.

myold96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
i need to redo my diff also,it hasn't gone out yet but it is starting to make noises and the back end wobbles a little. can axles be bent from overloading the truck?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals