• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

This 4x4 makin me ANGRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Swepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok installed new shift motor. Still nothing on the 4x4 switch when i start bronco it still has the low range light lit up on the switch. Hit the button hear a click from module behind the seat but nothing at t case. Tested module its good how can u test the switch has to be it

509lifted

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l, 4.0 v6
Transmission
Manual
on my buddies 89 he has to put it in reverse and back up about 20 feet inorder for it to properly shift out of 4l maybe try that and if it doesnt work pull the switch and replace it if that doesnt work u can always return the new one but the swites are known to go out. i would say if u have the money switch it to manual transfer case that way u have less things that can go out on u.

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ive got a couple of those switches layin around. Holler if you want them

Swepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I would love to switch my explorer v6 to manual 4x4. But w.e, too much work for me... I don't like the idea of making holes in the floor...

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1987
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4Cyl, 2.9 EFI V6
Transmission
Manual
The shiftster is a wonderful thing! I love it on my truck! You cant beat it for 55 bucks and you will never have to mess with a F**king electronic shift motor again!

Swepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok. So installed switch still the exact same thing. The low range light always on hit wither button just a couple of clicks from module behind seat

Catch22556

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
The shiftster is a wonderful thing! I love it on my truck! You cant beat it for 55 bucks and you will never have to mess with a F**king electronic shift motor again!
Wow, i wish i would of known about that when i still had the Exploder. Went through a couple different Tcase shift motors and just never liked the way it engaged. I would go with manual over electronic anyday. I would honestly just trash the electronics and go manual. I know you don't want to deal with swapping in a manual case and everything that goes with it, so that shiftster seems like it would be a great alternative.

Swepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
im done i know for sure now i have a wiring issue somehere i found a spot in the main where someone has hacked and spliced shit everywhere..so i just ordered a shiftster.. alot easier than doin the tcase swap right now. i will let you guys know how well it works.. thanks for the heads up

Last edited:

gribly

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda
Engine Size
K20A3
Transmission
Manual
If you take the motor off and take it apart, there is a bushing that shatters on the main gear of the shift motor. Also, the cover on older ones has the contacts on it and can be clocked back and forth to determine stop points for the shift motor. I rebuilt and adjusted mine and it's perfect now. There's also a fab company that sells a manual shifter for the electric t-case, it's an in-cab lever with a cable that goes to a gearbox you mount on the transfer case, way better than a shiftster, but they are custom made to order, and almost $400. I posted it up on here recently, a search should find the thread.

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
My Ranger came to me with out a shift motor. Just a rats nest of wires . Too cheap to buy a shiftster, so I used a pair of 5'' vise grips to shift it into 4 w high. When I want 4wd, I lock in the manual hubs . I keep the vise grips in the side pocket of the door.

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
im done i know for sure now i have a wiring issue somehere i found a spot in the main where someone has hacked and spliced shit everywhere..so i just ordered a shiftster.. alot easier than doin the tcase swap right now. i will let you guys know how well it works.. thanks for the heads up
Dude. The tcase swap takes like two hours. Finding the tcase is harder than installing it. But they are all over the classifieds in here(sometimes). Then there is always CL and your local JY. I just found another 1350m for 100 bucks on here. They are out there. You just have to look.

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I didn't like the idea of the shiftster because it's under the truck. In I've and snow I don't wanna crawl under truck each time.

Swepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Think im goin to fab up a trap door to get to it from inside. The reason im doin the shiftster rite now is i dont have alot of time to dedicate out in the garage for the swap. Wife just had our second boy thurs. Workin two jobs. Lookn for a quick and cheap fix for winter.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals