• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

help please 97 explorer 5.0 in 98 mazda b4000

Jklancaster12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I found a 97 explorer for a descent price and my transmission is goin out in my 98 b4000 wanting to go ahead and do the 5.0 swap but the explorer is 4x4 not sure if its all time or not but it is the eddie my question is if the transmission and transfer case will work or if I can leave my 2wd frontend under the truck and keep it 2wd for now I want to convert it to 4x4 but right now I just need to do the swap before my transmission goes I can swap the front end and everything else later if I can put the 4x4 transmission under the truck and run 2wd it would be amazing because its a really good deal on the explorer and not running across to many 2wd 5.0 explorers that still run and worth the money

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yours would be a rough row to hoe... Your coil spring front suspension really can't be converted and the AWD xfer case won't lock up properly without the awd/4wd front end.

Think either a frame swap, or a solid axle swap would be needed to keep the awd/4wd system. But, swapping in a rear wheel drive transmission, converting the awd transmission to a rwd transmission or replacing the awd xfer case for a "locked in 2wd hi" xfer case are better/easier paths to take.

Jklancaster12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
what would it take to swap the truck body onto the explorer frame cant be to much considering the wire harness is almost plug and play and the swap is practically the same might look further into the frame swap wonder if the wheelbase is the same and if the frame is the same length

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Where are you located? I've got a 2wd Explorer 4R70W in my donor truck that runs fine (I drove it home last week and it shifted great). Got the engine and trans ready to pull today, hoping to hoist it out tomorrow night.

Jklancaster12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm in Alabama been wanting to do the 5.0 swap wasn't really looking for a 4wd but the one I found is in great shape I do want to swap to 4wd is there a solid axle swap for the ranger that would match the gears in the rear or would you need to swap both and will the 4r70 go on the 4.0 because that would save a lot of time and money to do the swap another day

Jklancaster12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
just crossed my mind can I swap the front end from the 97 exploder to the ranger and possibly the gears in the rear hmmmm.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I don't think the AWD transfer case that's on it cares if there's anything hooked to the front, it's not a differential it's a viscous clutch, apparently a lot of people take out the front shaft...

Jklancaster12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
alright so that takes care of that can the explorer front axle swap into the ranger?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals