• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need Help-4x4 frustation

RangerJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1994 Ranger 4x4 manual tranmission,4x4 is push button on the dash.
I have replaced the 4x4 control module.dash switch,transfer case shift motor,and the pigtail in the dash behind the 4x4 switch. 4 high works everytime with no issues but 4 low has issues still,when I engage 4 low sometimes it works great and both the dash and switch light come on,then it is sometimes difficult to disengage,then later the dash light will not come on and it takes a while of pushing the dash switch to engage. And sometimes the 4low dash ( switch) light is on without 4x4 being engaged.Any help,advice will be appreaciated.Thanks

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Reads like wiring, of course.

4low(manual trans) requires clutch pedal to be down all the way, Clutch switch closed.

Speed sensor, yes, 1994 has one on speedometer cable hookup, on transfer case, it needs to be working and showing 0MPH, this VSS sensor is also used for cruise control

I don't thing brake pedal needs to be down on Manual trans, only on automatics

These wires all go to the 4WD Control module, and need to be set or no shift to 4Low

I posted the 4WD wiring in this thread: http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170637

1993 and 1994 are the same

Last edited:

RangerJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks Ron,I have noticed that the speedometer,will jump 70-80 mph while I am going 20-30 mph,that may be my problem

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Speedometer in 1994 uses cable drive
VSS was just for computer, cruise and 4WD

Jumping cable drive speedo needle could be a broken wire on the cable, it catches and releases on the sheath while driving slow, at higher speed it can go away.

But could be worm gear on output shaft, maybe driven gear, but less likely

Fordfreak11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
91 4x4 don't work

I just didn't swap to 4.0 everything works just fine. The only thing that don't is my 4x4. The harness from the 91 4.0 was 2wd auto but my truck is 91 4x4 5 speed. I fixed the wiring so my clutch pedal works correctly by wiring nss. But 4x4 don't work. There has to be away to find wires and make my 4x4 work again. I just am not having luck finding what wires go were. Or info on how to get it to work.

AzLizard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 2.8
Transmission
Automatic
Cured mine of all that crap by swapping in a manual shift tcase.dash lights are the only thing that don't work.

Fordfreak11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
I might have to but I'd rather try to just wire it so that it all works right since I'm this close to having it stock again.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Happy Holidays

Did you download the wiring diagram for 1993 4WD PDF from the link I posted in #2 above?

If module has power with key on then when you select 4high module will send power to shift motor, if motor doesn't turn then 4WD light will flash indicating a problem.
If you are not getting the flashing light then module most likely doesn't have key on power

1994 and earlier module info here: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/4wd_control_module.html

Shifting between 2WD and 4high, either way, doesn't require speed or clutch input, it is "shift on the fly" 4WD, so should work while driving or stopped
4low requires, 0MPH and clutch pedal down, also read a recent post that Parking brake needs to be on, but never heard of that before, but ONLY for 4Low

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals