• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1989 Ranger Passenger Fender get super hot??

militarydave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
hello all,

what would cause my 89 ford ranger to completely heat up the passenger's side (RH) fender, the relays, the bumper, the battery, and everything to a scorching 113 degrees with a thermal temp gun. would it be the ignition relay, fuel relays, the wiring? it doesn't blow any fuses, it just gets SUPER HOT??? also, it's draining my battery. brand new battery, drains it completely even when the switch is off?

any thoughts?

bad wiring? bad ground? faulty alternator ?

please advise,

thanks,

superds

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2" body. 1.5" coil spring spacers/rear block
There's a lot of electrical stuff up in that area. The solenoid is up there as well as the stuff you mentioned. I would start by checking if the cables from the battery to the solenoid are grounding out along the way. If they are frayed or corroded it would be a good time to clean them or replace them. If that doesn't solve it, I would think the solenoid is bad, causing a short to the ground. Either way, I'd put money on there being a ground short somewhere in that area.

militarydave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
cool beans. just bought a borg-warner starter relay solenoid from O'reilly's. gonna wire it up tomorrow.

thanks for the input!

superds

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2" body. 1.5" coil spring spacers/rear block
No problem. I can't specifically think how the solenoid could cause a ground short since it doesn't get connected to the ground by wire but it is plausible if something weird happened to it where it got damaged and it allows current to flow to the body (which would create the heat you're experiencing).

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

militarydave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Well the fuel pump relays would get super hot. i pulled the bed off, put a new pump, a new fuel pump pigtail, all new wires from the fuel pump pigtail up to the fusebox. $200 motorcraft FP and Starter Relays from the ford house, all new fuses, new battery, new ignition coil, ignition module, wires/plugs, distributor, cap/rotor, and alternator.

but the relays get hot, and the engine dies.

i figure it cuts the power off due to excessive heat.

either way i'll replace the starter solenoid. we'll see what happens.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals