• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ranger or Explorer?

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
Ok here is my predicament. The engine in my Ranger is dead more or less, so I was looking for another 2.9. I got curious and ended up finding a running driving 91 or 92 Explorer with a new clutch and new front brakes with 112K that I could pick up for $8-900. It has a slightly messed up bumper and some dents in the passenger side front door.

I was thinking I would swap the engine and tranny into my truck, sell the axles and scrap the rest, but then I would still need to redo the ball joints in my D35, get F-150 spacers and Chevy 63s so I can clear 33s.

Or, I could swap the axles and lift in the Ranger over to the Explorer, slap some 33s on it and go.

Keep in mind I have had the Ranger for the past 2 years and I've got some memories in/with it. I also have a nice stereo system set up in it as well.

So should I lift the Explorer and transfer all my goodies over to it, or swap the engine and tranny into the Ranger. If I lifted the explorer, I would probably swap the Explorer axles into the Ranger and try to sell it.

Ok, that's it... all that talk of switching has me a little confused.

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
Also keep in mind that the Explorer is the gross plain white color.

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Tough call. I think I would rather have the ranger.

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
That's really where I'm leaning. With returning the Ranger to stock and trying to sell it with a dead engine to making new custom bumpers I will no doubt need for the Explorer, swapping the 4.0 makes more sense to me.

mkpecor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger 4x4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i say the explorer, dont know why i have been thinking about getting a explorer and sellin my ranger just want some thing new that i havent had and they look hella sick lifted. but i would miss the bed on the truck. tuff call

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
i would almost go with the exploder, if you dont need to have a truck for hauling stuff, the exploder would be about 20 bucks less per year to licence (at least where i live, i realize your area could be different) check with your insurance on coverage cost too, i never have but being different types of vehicles, you may get a benefit there also. in this day & age saving where you can makes sence, if your needs are still met. (but personally, id rather have the ranger, you would have more work ahead of you though.)

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Just trim your fenders a little bit and your ranger will fit 33s just fine.

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
Lol, actually not really. These are 31s

I might be alright up front, but I'd still need to figure out something for the rear. I plan on cutting off that weird part of the front fenders that sticks way down anyway.

I'm not afraid of swapping in the 63s or anything... I've just always had a thing for lifted Explorers and thought this could be my opportunity. I do really like the truck bed too, and for group snowboard runs, there is always my buddy's 4Runner, I just have to make sure to call 'shotgun.'

Last edited:

BLOODBANE

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORDFORD
Engine Size
347, 4.oh
Transmission
Automatic
Do both.......

Use the explorer as is for now, and get your Ranger back up(even if its slowly). Then build up the Ex, and have two to go wheeling in...........

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
swap the dash and 4.0 into the ranger.if you really want something new do the front clip too(fenders are cheap).the second gen fenders supposedly are more open.my 88 felt like a different truck after the swap.i don't know how much lift you have in the rear,or wheel backspacing?this is my truck at factory height in the rear(came with 3" tall blocks factory) on 33's with only the first flat part of the opening trimmed and folded,about an inch of fender.and it still tucks under with 10" wide wheels:icon_confused:

you aren't getting the uptravel i am either it should be easy to fit 33"s on 6 inches of lift

Last edited:

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
Do both.......

Use the explorer as is for now, and get your Ranger back up(even if its slowly). Then build up the Ex, and have two to go wheeling in...........
Oh trust me, I'd love to but that will probably have to wait a few years. I tried having 2 vehicles, one to drive, one to fix and that was OK when I lived at home, but that's just not an option now. I have always like both your truck though, especially the Explorer. :icon_thumby:

swap the dash and 4.0 into the ranger.if you really want something new do the front clip too(fenders are cheap).the second gen fenders supposedly are more open.my 88 felt like a different truck after the swap.i don't know how much lift you have in the rear,or wheel backspacing?this is my truck at factory height in the rear(came with 3" tall blocks factory) on 33's with only the first flat part of the opening trimmed and folded,about an inch of fender.and it still tucks under with 10" wide wheels:icon_confused:

you aren't getting the uptravel i am either it should be easy to fit 33"s on 6 inches of lift
I have Belltechs and my old Ranger leafs with the eyes cut off underneath the main leaf on an Explorer pack. This sits almost perfectly level with the 6" SJ softrides up front. I followed what my friend did to clear 33s on his 94 but didn't factor in the difference in wheelwells...I've never been quite happy with this setup, it's a bit stiff and some more droop would be nice, hence the 63s. The wheels are 15x8s with 3.75 BS. The 33s will be on a set of 15x8 Ansen Sprints with either 3.75 of 3.5 BS.

Last edited:

1988broncoll

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
personal opion stay ranger ive never liked the exploders also you can go taller with out being as top heavy as you will with the exploder and you should be a bit lighter to

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I thought the same when I was looking for another truck. My buddy came across a 94 Explorer with 120,000 and was wrecked. The place that had it only wanted $500 for it and it ran like a champ. I figures what the hell and told him to get it as my Ranger was rusting out bad. I really didn't want the Explorer as it wasn't a truck and I couldn't haull anything with it unless I junked out the inside. We;; along came a $200 trailer and an 88 Ranger with a 6 inch lift and the 91 clip. That truck was also $500. It's your choice on what you want to do but I'm glad that I did the Explorer route as now I can take the family with.

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
Well I don't see that much difference in price, except I'd probably have better luck trying to sell the 3.73 8.8 (l/s) and D35 and man 1354 as parts than under my stock Ranger with no/a dead engine.

Plus i really do like having a truck, its handy.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals