• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

power steering squealing

edylynmpascual

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
1999 ranger xlt 4cylinder power steering pump squeals constantly,seems like it's getting louder ,what's the solution ?

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
1999 ranger xlt 4cylinder power steering pump squeals constantly,seems like it's getting louder ,what's the solution ?
Rebuild or a new pump. If it had fluid there's not a lot more to check aside from taking it apart and at that point might as well rebuild it. Ford power steering pumps are known to be loud. Have you checked the belt and pulleys? Are you sure it's the pump making the squeal?

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Spray it with water. If it stops it is the belt or pulley. If not it is the pump. Replace.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
How's the fluid level? They make an awful racket when the fluid gets too low.

fr7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My truck has a power steering pump whining noise all the time, I can hear it even when I'm not touching the steering wheel and it gets worse when I turn, It's smooth to turn though, it's just annoyingly noisy. I tried draining the old fluid and filling it up with new fluid but it didn't do anything, the whining still there. When it was empty it didn't make any noise at all when I turned the wheels but It's kinda hard to steer with no fluid lol. I need a new pump and that's one of my many projects before winter gets here...

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My truck has a power steering pump whining noise all the time, I can hear it even when I'm not touching the steering wheel and it gets worse when I turn, It's smooth to turn though, it's just annoyingly noisy. I tried draining the old fluid and filling it up with new fluid but it didn't do anything, the whining still there. When it was empty it didn't make any noise at all when I turned the wheels but It's kinda hard to steer with no fluid lol. I need a new pump and that's one of my many projects before winter gets here...
My ’92 does the exact same crap and I hate it. I want to just replace the pump but there are soooooo many other things to fix first. Plus, I’ve read threads on here from people complaining that they had to go through 4 or 5 different new pumps before they finally found one that didn’t whine like a little bitch. Not looking forward to trying to get the auto parts guys to take back a pump that’s been installed (they’re dicks about every return you bring them around here, used or not). Don’t know what the issue is with Ford pumps. :annoyed:

levikemp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My ’92 does the exact same crap and I hate it. I want to just replace the pump but there are soooooo many other things to fix first. Plus, I’ve read threads on here from people complaining that they had to go through 4 or 5 different new pumps before they finally found one that didn’t whine like a little bitch. Not looking forward to trying to get the auto parts guys to take back a pump that’s been installed (they’re dicks about every return you bring them around here, used or not). Don’t know what the issue is with Ford pumps. :annoyed:
Well I'm not sure if I'm happy or not to read this. I was about to ask this same question, but I've already replaced my pump once. It whines all the time, and worse when the fluid is low. No leak though, I've checked, the cap doesn't seal well from what I can tell and replacing that didn't help either. Maybe I'm crazy that there is a leak, but even so when it's full of new fluid it's loud!:annoyed:

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, it doesn’t make sense to me either. How could all the places that sell OEM or aftermarket pumps continue to do so if they all squeal right out of the box? If someone was managing an Autozone, LMC, etc, wouldn’t they just get tired of all the complaints and returns and just stop carrying them?

Seems fishy to me (though I know others on here have a lot of experience and must know something I don’t). I mean, I could see if a few manufacturers (particularly in China) made loud, crappy, pumps, but all manufacturers of Ford pumps? :icon_confused:

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Have you checked everything in the system for leaks? Or ever notice the fluid in the reservoir seems sorta foamy? Leaks can sometimes suck in air and air makes a heak of a racket in a P/S system.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Have you checked everything in the system for leaks? Or ever notice the fluid in the reservoir seems sorta foamy? Leaks can sometimes suck in air and air makes a heak of a racket in a P/S system.
This is what causes the whining, air in the system, that's why brand new pumps still whine. You have to get ALL of the air out of the system.

The squeal is probably belts or pulleys,
Look at the belts to see if they have thousands of tiny cracks and look dry rotted, this will cause belts to squeal.
If a Pulley is covered in red "dust" it probably needs grease or replaced. this will also cause a squeal.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
For mine i adapted a old fill cap with a vacume nipple then also put two nipples on a jar lid and connected them to manifold vacume tee. Let the engine vacume pull any air bubbles out of the bearings and the jar will catch any oil that may get sucked up. It took about 10 minutes of freeway driving to quiet it down to nothing.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals