• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cut INSIDE the Tire Tread?

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hey, all.

Picked up a ’92 4-WD Ranger Custom a few months back. So many problems with it. The one thing I thought I’d be good with were the tires. I can tell they’re not new chronologically, but there’s very little wear on the nice aggressive treads.
Then I saw THIS:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1k64tPmsdDAxAGmhQknHd4OS1a-DnIvnY/view?usp=sharing

Uggh. I definitely can’t afford new tires for this thing right now, since it needs so many other things done to it (yes, I know, an accident would cost more and I DO want to be responsible toward other people on the road). The tires hold air perfectly fine, so the tear obviously hasn’t gone through. If I put a tube in that one tire for the time being, would it be likely to pass inspection that way (it’s due in October)? :icon_confused:

Thanks.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
It would literally be cheaper, safer, and easier to go buy a used tire and rim from a junkyard. Tubes aren't cheap and you would still need to pay for mounting and re-balancing after its installed. A junkyard tire and rim might run you 50 bucks max and later when you buy all new tires... Hey you got a spare. Also you still have structural damage to the tire that a tube isn't correcting. Tubes also cause the tire to run hotter, and with less flex so the chance of catastrophic failure to your already old/damaged tire increases. I just see zero benefit in trying to repair that tire with a tube.

Last edited:

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It would literally be cheaper, safer, and easier to go buy a used tire and rim from a junkyard. Tubes aren't cheap and you would still need to pay for mounting and re-balancing after its installed. A junkyard tire and rim might run you 50 bucks max and later when you buy all new tires... Hey you got a spare. Also you still have structural damage to the tire that a tube isn't correcting. Tubes also cause the tire to run hotter, and with less flex so the chance of catastrophic failure to your already old/damaged tire increases. I just see zero benefit in trying to repair that tire with a tube.
Hey, fair enough, Dirtman. A lot of what you say is kind of what I already suspected; I was just looking for someone to verify. Junkyards aren’t an option around here, as they’ve been outlawed in the area. Most tire places around here also won’t sell you just one tire, they want to charge a grand+ for a set of four. Gotta love NY.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
What sort if insane logic is behind making junkyards illegal? :icon_confused:

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
What sort if insane logic is behind making junkyards illegal? :icon_confused:
Ever since 9/11, city people have been buying up weekend homes in this area like they’re going out of style. They find junkyards to be “unsightly” (in other words, they want to increase their property values, in case they want to sell down the road).

They get on the local governmental boards and boom - no more junkyards. This is a former farming community and in some areas, it’s actually now illegal to own chickens, because they don’t want the roosters disturbing their beauty sleep on the weekends. I sh@t you not. :annoyed:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
×2. I wouldn't trust that tire any further than I could throw it. As rubber ages, it becomes more brittle and susceptible to chunking as well as cuts & separations like that. You might also find the tire's interior to be intact at the moment, which would make use of a tube moot anyway (a tube will do absolutely nothing to prevent a tire from bursting).

Maybe check Craigslist to see if someone's selling some tires near you. Otherwise you're probably just gonna have to drive a few dozen miles or more (in another vehicle if you don't have a spare) and get one from a wrecking yard.
Also check tire stores, many sell used tires too, though the price margins are not as good as would be if you got it from a junkyard or private party.

donaldcon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
How deep is the cut?
If you stick a screwdriver in the cut and wiggle it around can you feel any of the metal chords?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
In many states running a tube inside a radial tubless tire is illegal.

Also, as said, that thing is junk.

Lastly, I hold NY in only slightly higher regard than I do Commie-Fornia, and absolutely refuse to even cross the line into NY unless absolutely necessary. Just move somewhere better.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Old tires rot, so you will be needing a set of 4 if they are all old, 15+ years old.

Tires have a DOT(dept. of transportation) Date code, look here: http://www.consumerwarningnetwork.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/tire-mfr-date.jpg
This was for 2000 and up tires, so at least 18 years old.............., i.e. 0100 = Made in 1st week January 2000
Prior to 2000 there will only be 3 digits not 4
First two are the week, 01 to 52, last number is the year, 0 to 9, i.e. 128 = (12 weeks)March 1998

DOT date only has to be on one sidewall legally, so if you don't see it or its not complete look on the other side of tire

See how old they are

Tire makers say they last 6 years, but they would, lol.
I think 15 years would really be pushing them, the materials just break down, same happens to vacuum hoses and your filler tube :)

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
In many states running a tube inside a radial tubless tire is illegal.
I do it all the time... on farm equipment.

And I wouldn't risk blowing out a tube on that tire :icon_thumby:

And with what I do there is virtually no safety risk, if I blow a tire on my disk or shredder nobody will get hurt... and it would still not be worth putting a tube in that tire to me.

Last edited:

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I dunno how far you are from the NJ border but id be more than happy to find you a good used tire/rim at one of my local yards and meet you halfway if your not in buffalo or something lol. I hit the junkyards once a week anyway. At least itll keep you safe till you can buy new tires. Lemme know if i can help.

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Okay guys, I get it.

I have a second clunker that I can drive around until I find new tires. Somewhere on here, there’s a spec sheet that shows what the largest tires are that will fit on particular Rangers, but I can’t seem to find it now. Anyone know off-hand where it’s at? I’ll probably shop around on Craigslist and see if I can find some used tires already on rims, as I hate the steelies that came with the truck anyway. Thanks.

EDIT - I did find these two pages:

http://www.therangerstation.com/how-to/wheels_and_brakes/ford-ranger-wheel-fitment-guide/

http://www.therangerstation.com/how-to_pages/ford_ranger_tire_fitment.shtml

Looks like without a lift, the standard 15x7’s the came with the truck are all that will fit, yeah?

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals