Home Ford Ranger Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum  

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Help Forums - Styling & Electrical > Misc Electrical & Gauges

Misc Electrical & Gauges Post your speedometer, gauges, interior and non audio/video questions here.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:40 AM   #11
Bob Ayers

Vehicle Year: 1999
Vehicle Make: Ranger
Vehicle Model: St. Cab
Bob Ayers has a spectacular aura aboutBob Ayers has a spectacular aura aboutBob Ayers has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones View Post
dude you are stupid.....engines DO NOT run hotter w/ efans.....it has been proven time and time again.....

milage increases is because there is less drag on an engine.....a hotter engine will get worse fuel milage....

STOP GIVING FALSE INFORMATION Bob.....did your parents have any kids who had common sense?

You need to re-read the OP's posts....because he does say his temp gauge is running hotter with the e-fan. WRONG about a hotter engine, the way modern EFI works, it will lean the mixture the hotter the engine gets!

And, for F.Y.I. an e-fan has less cooling capacity than a mechanical fan/clutch
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

SPRING ONLINE MAGAZINE!

Check out the latest articles

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:43 AM   #12
Bob Ayers

Vehicle Year: 1999
Vehicle Make: Ranger
Vehicle Model: St. Cab
Bob Ayers has a spectacular aura aboutBob Ayers has a spectacular aura aboutBob Ayers has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harris View Post
Well, mjones, when I first installed the fan the temp gauge went from below the N in NORMAL to almost the O, but since then I have blown the radiator out with an air hose and flushed the system, so for the last 2 1/2 weeks the needle has stayed where it always was. Also, I have heard that a warmer engine is more efficient regarding fuel usage but a cooler one will have a longer life. I don't know, it's just what I have always heard. I do feel that for my application purposes thus far the electric fan has been a positive addition. If my alternator fails and I am stuck in a parking lot next week I may change my mind...

I will ask, however, that you please not call someone stupid or false on the thread I started. I simply wanted to gather information and hopefully help someone else who may be looking into this modification. If you do disagree on with a post there are more adult ways to express the dissenting opinion you may have without being quite as coarse.
You are correct Harris! You will get better MPG with a hotter engine, and there will also be less wear.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:44 AM   #13
gotmudd

Vehicle Year: 1973
Vehicle Make: FORD
Vehicle Model: F250-HI-BOY
I use this vehicle for: whatever i want [ like driving over small jap cars that cut me off ]
gotmudd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
dude you are stupid.....engines DO NOT run hotter w/ efans.....it has been proven time and time again.....

milage increases is because there is less drag on an engine.....a hotter engine will get worse fuel milage....

STOP GIVING FALSE INFORMATION Bob.....did your parents have any kids who had common sense?
engines are designed to run within certain heat ranges, therefore if you run above the recommendations you will burn up your rings [been there] if you run below the recommendations you will build carbon and eventually lose power. THAT is why electric fans have thermostatic switches, to keep your engine at the temp. it was designed to run at. as mjones said less drag=better economy
Old 03-24-2008, 11:49 AM   #14
Harris

Vehicle Year: 1994
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: DD
Harris is on a distinguished road

I think the issue has been exhausted on this thread. I will perhaps update it during the summer months where the electric fan will get it's true test in the south Georgia heat. You can expect an honest evaluation of the electric fan as I would not purposefully mislead any TRS readers. I will say that, as of three weeks in, I am satisfied with the fan and it is performing better than I hoped. It was just a little project that could occupy me on my day off.

To gotmudd: As far as the temp gauge goes, the fan did let it get a little hotter than the original, but only between the N and O in NORMAL. I remember ten years ago thinking, "Does the temp gauge even work on this truck?" I put a piece of cardboard over the radiator and drove around for a few miles before it even moved, so it has always stayed quite cool. In January I Sea-Foamed the hell out of it but some parts, like the EGR valve, were clean as a whistle. I guess it's one of those, "If it ain't broke," kind of situations.

Last edited by Harris; 03-24-2008 at 11:54 AM.
Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 11:55 AM   #15
Jim Oaks
Administrator

Vehicle Year: 1983 & 1996
I use this vehicle for: Dedicated trail rig!
Jim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Knock it off. There's no reason for name calling.

Vote For TRS In Top 4x4 Sites
Jim Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 12:15 PM   #16
Earl43P
Premium Member

Vehicle Year: 2000
I use this vehicle for: a driveway ornament, light hauling
Earl43P is just really niceEarl43P is just really niceEarl43P is just really niceEarl43P is just really niceEarl43P is just really nice

Harris,

Have you ever replaced the thermostat?

It sounds to me as if your engine is not reaching operating temperature, which could very well affect your gas mileage. I'm willing to bet your tail pipe is pretty sooty, meaning it is running rich because the thermostat is stuck open, providing too much cooling REGARDLESS OF WHICH TYPE FAN YOU ARE RUNNING.

This time of year, I wouldn't even RUN the e-fan, unless I were sitting at stoplights in traffic and SAW the temp needle getting up near the A or L (of NORMAL). You'll absolutely get better MPG with the Temp at LEAST to the R or M.

I can look at the Scangauge, but IIRC, when mine just hits the letter M = 193* which is right where it is designed to operate. I'll try to remember to notice the Scanguage temp when it hits the O, but I'm betting it's in the 160's, because mine shows it's in the 130's as it comes off the low side peg toward the N.

I think you need a thermostat more than you needed that $8 e-fan.

Good work on the install though. You should see improved MPG once you install the temp switch set-up.
Earl43P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 08:44 PM   #17
Harris

Vehicle Year: 1994
I use this vehicle for: DD
Harris is on a distinguished road

Earl,

Like I said, I just got that fan as a little "for fun" project to do on a beautiful spring day (I never actually "needed" it). I still have the original fan in my toolbox and it will take, what, 15 minutes to pull the e/fan off and put the old one back on? Also, my mother had the thermostat replaced when I was in basic training a few years back so I don't know exactly which rating they used, but it has always run cool. (I bought the truck back in 1996.) The thermostat opens up after idling about 7-8 minutes, though, so it isn't stuck open.

When I get the chance I promise I'll put the temperature switch on but I have been impressed with the 1.5 mpg gain over the past three weeks.(That is the average with one tank used in town and one on highway.) As far as soot there is some but it doesn't seem like an excessive amount. I do need to replace my catalytic converter, though, so there is a chance that it has suffered from an increased bombardment of carbon, but it is the original (235k miles).

Thanks for the input.

Harris
Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 09:16 PM   #18
bobbywalter
RBV Technical Advisor

Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Make: FORD
Vehicle Model: RANGERISH SORT OF THING
I use this vehicle for: EVERYTHING
My credo: it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
bobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to behold

not funny.
bobbywalter is offline   Reply With Quote