Home Ford Ranger Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum  

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Help Forums - Styling & Electrical > Misc Electrical & Gauges

Misc Electrical & Gauges Post your speedometer, gauges, interior and non audio/video questions here.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:54 AM   #1
Harris

Vehicle Year: 1994
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: DD
Harris is on a distinguished road
Default Electric Fan Install

I know there is an article in the tech section already, but I kinda just wanted some feedback on what you guys think about my install. I highly value your opinions on Ranger issues.

I was at the junkyard Monday getting in some much-needed shopping when I figured an electric fan would maybe help add a little horsepower to my '94 Ranger. The little 2.3L needs all the help it can get, plus a little added fuel efficiency wouldn't hurt either. Anyway, I measured my radiator and struck out looking for something close.

I found a 2002 Pontiac Montana with a fan that looked pretty close to what I needed so I pulled it. I checked to see if it worked and gave the junkyard owner $8.00 for it. If you do decide to get one like I did, make sure you remember to get the snap-together coupler with the wires, too.
http://s268.photobucket.com/albums/j...lectricFan.jpg

I pulled the old fan/clutch assembly out, along with that aggravating fan shroud.
http://s268.photobucket.com/albums/j...-DrivenFan.jpg

To my amazement, when I lowered the fan into place behind the radiator it was a near perfect fit. After cleaning the fan and its housing with Bleach-White and a brush I gave it a good shot of Turtle Wax Ice to make it look a little better.
I used longer-than-original bolts to hold the top and bottom in and a 1/2 inch PVC coupling sawed in half and painted red to conceal the gap from where the fan didn't mount exactly flush.
I also painted the metal cover over the fan motor red. Go Dawgs!

Now that the easy part was over it was time to wire it up. There was a good grounding spot right next to the top of the radiator on the driver's side, so I used that. I ran a good 10 gauge wire around the battery and to the power distribution box. A relay from an F-150 came in handy and everything tucked nicely into the box. Since I did not have a thermostat switch I simply wired it up to run when the key is on. To remedy any future problems I put a small unobtrusive switch in the cab so I can turn the fan off if I need to. The wires going to the switch can easily be re-routed through a temperature switch when I get one, but so far it's working fine.
Fan: $8.00
Misc. Electrical Stuff: $3.00
(Most of this I had laying around. If you went out specifically to buy the electrical items you could expect to pay around $10-14.00.)
Paint: $4.44
PVC Coupling: $.21
Time: About 2 hours. Next time I could do it in one.

http://s268.photobucket.com/albums/j...Installed2.jpg

Maybe someone can learn something from this post or someone can offer me some advice on how to do it better next time.
Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

SPRING ONLINE MAGAZINE!

Check out the latest articles

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:27 AM   #2
gotmudd

Vehicle Year: 1973
Vehicle Make: FORD
Vehicle Model: F250-HI-BOY
I use this vehicle for: whatever i want [ like driving over small jap cars that cut me off ]
gotmudd is on a distinguished road

i learned from experience that you will need to put in themostatic fan relay otherwise engine will run too cold and you will build excess carbon. you can get relay at shucks auto supply @35.00 dollars, takes @ 15min to install
gotmudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 11:38 AM   #3
Harris

That's interesting that you bring that up. I have noticed that my original fan ran all the time and the needle on the gauge never got above the N in Normal. With this electric fan it now sits on the O in Normal. I do intend to put a temperature switch in, though. (I am a college student, so it may take a week or two to get the switch.)
Old 03-07-2008, 11:46 AM   #4
gotmudd

Vehicle Year: 1973
Vehicle Make: FORD
Vehicle Model: F250-HI-BOY
I use this vehicle for: whatever i want [ like driving over small jap cars that cut me off ]
gotmudd is on a distinguished road

did a conversion on a '78 camaro, before putting in switch it ran like a pig cuz the thermostat wouldn't get to temp, put in switch and it runs like a champ, 22mpg highway, not bad for a 350chevy w/edelbrock 4bbl
gotmudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 07:44 AM   #5
Harris

Sorry to bring this thread back to the top but I wanted to report on how my 2.3L is doing after three weeks with the electric fan. Before the fan, (and no other changes) it was getting about 19.8 mpg consistently. (I know that's kinda low, but I'm working on it...) My first refill after all in-town driving came out to 20.8 mpg and I refueled yesterday after 280 highway miles and it was at 21.9 mpg.

So far I will claim that just the fan has given a 1.5 mpg or 7.6% increase in efficiency. I am not saying this is the best setup, but so far I am content with the improvement.

Now I just need a new cat and I'll see what that does. If I can get to 24-25 mpg I'll be pretty satisfied.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:30 AM   #6
Bob Ayers

Vehicle Year: 1999
Vehicle Make: Ranger
Vehicle Model: St. Cab
Bob Ayers has a spectacular aura aboutBob Ayers has a spectacular aura aboutBob Ayers has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harris View Post
Sorry to bring this thread back to the top but I wanted to report on how my 2.3L is doing after three weeks with the electric fan. Before the fan, (and no other changes) it was getting about 19.8 mpg consistently. (I know that's kinda low, but I'm working on it...) My first refill after all in-town driving came out to 20.8 mpg and I refueled yesterday after 280 highway miles and it was at 21.9 mpg.

So far I will claim that just the fan has given a 1.5 mpg or 7.6% increase in efficiency. I am not saying this is the best setup, but so far I am content with the improvement.

Now I just need a new cat and I'll see what that does. If I can get to 24-25 mpg I'll be pretty satisfied.
Your engine running hotter is the reason for your increase in MPG!
Old 03-24-2008, 10:23 AM   #7
Harris

Maybe that's all it is. I am still satisfied with the change.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:25 AM   #8
mjonesjr
I dance with the Devil...

mjonesjr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ayers View Post
Your engine running hotter is the reason for your increase in MPG!
dude you are stupid.....engines DO NOT run hotter w/ efans.....it has been proven time and time again.....

milage increases is because there is less drag on an engine.....a hotter engine will get worse fuel milage....

STOP GIVING FALSE INFORMATION Bob.....did your parents have any kids who had common sense?
Or I will stand here and die!

All men are created equal, then a few become firemen.

Support Our Troops!

mjonesjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 10:42 AM   #9
Harris

Well, mjones, when I first installed the fan the temp gauge went from below the N in NORMAL to almost the O, but since then I have blown the radiator out with an air hose and flushed the system, so for the last 2 1/2 weeks the needle has stayed where it always was. Also, I have heard that a warmer engine is more efficient regarding fuel usage but a cooler one will have a longer life. I don't know, it's just what I have always heard. I do feel that for my application purposes thus far the electric fan has been a positive addition. If my alternator fails and I am stuck in a parking lot next week I may change my mind...

I will ask, however, that you please not call someone stupid or false on the thread I started. I simply wanted to gather information and hopefully help someone else who may be looking into this modification. If you do disagree on with a post there are more adult ways to express the dissenting opinion you may have without being quite as coarse.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:45 AM   #10
mjonesjr
I dance with the Devil...

mjonesjr is on a distinguished road

sounds like you had something blocking the radiator is the reason that it read different....

it takes course words to get through to Bob....he isn't all there....
Or I will stand here and die!

All men are created equal, then a few become firemen.

Support Our Troops!

mjonesjr is offline   Reply With Quote