• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Driverside Door lock issues

Tweak338

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
Truck: 91 Ranger
Manual Locks.

So, this damn door doesn't like to be locked..

Problem:
You push the lock down, it should lock it right? Wrong
I can close the door, and pull up on the handle, the door will open. wtf?!
The lock thingy stays down the whole time.

I have no idea whats going on here. It sucks cause I cannot really lockup my truck.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
your trying to open the truck from the OUTSIDE while its locked, right?

if so, it sounds like the pushrod has come disconnected. pull the inner door panel and take a look inside.

Tweak338

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
your trying to open the truck from the OUTSIDE while its locked, right?
Yes..

if so, it sounds like the pushrod has come disconnected. pull the inner door panel and take a look inside.
What exactly am I looking for, im a complete moron to the inside of the door. Only thing i know how to do is jimmy it open(from locking keys in it, not stealing!).

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
just pull the inner door panel and look inside the door. follow the lock button down and you'll see it attaches to a metal pushrod. im guessing that pushrod is not connected at one end as it should be. it should be pretty obvious once your in there whats going on.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
its been a while since ive been in the doors, and since its not here in front of me, its hard to tell.

whats that pushrod at the top right side of the pic (that would be the bottom/outer side of the door i believe) going to? is it connected to the latch? it appears to just be hanging there.

check out all the pushrods and see if both ends of all pushrods are connected to something, and that when you activate the device the pushrod is connected to (inner door handle, outer door handle, door lock button), that it transfers the motion like it should.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
These are pretty simple to fix, but in some cases the connector is broken and usually lying at the bottom of the door...they are made of plastic and, from that pic, it looks like what Wicked was saying...one of them is just hanging there (the one at the top of the pic with the bend going upwards)...

There is a connector that attaches to the push rod from the lock to one of those connectors in the lock mechanism...if your other door works fine, take the panel off of it and have a look to compare them...

If you need parts to replace broken connectors, go to the nearest junkyard if available and take two...because chances are they will break again or you may just need it in the future...and if I recall correctly, those parts are interchangeable between doors...so you can even take the one off the passenger side and use it on the driver's side door...

You'll need to lock either one with a key until you fix it properly...and if that don't work you may need to change something else...

Tweak338

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
I do lock it with a key.. Still able to just open the door.
It feels like its locked, but if you lift the handle all the way it kinda "pops" open.

The plastic connector was broken a little. Picked up a new one & rod from the junkyard. Problem still exists. I'm going to try a few things over the next few days and see if any of them fix it. If they do, I'll report back....
... If not, back to the junkyard for a whole new lock mechanism.

Tweak338

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
Update: Door seems to be fixed. :D

I bent the little arm that the rod coming down from the handle went into out away from the lock. Seemed to do the trick, well that and a new plastic clip.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Good stuff! I'm always amazed at how simple things are once you figure them out...my doors were a problem too and it took a few whacks at them to get everything working right...might want to invest in some of that graphite stuff to use in the locks to prevent them from seizing up...that's usually what causes things to start breaking, especially in cold weather...plastic just doesn't stand up to the cold and the added stress...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals