• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ford ranger project idea

Swamp_Nut14

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Credo?... what's that?
:icon_idea: I was brainstorming and keeping myself up at night thinking about this. The inspiration was the 2011 ultimate adventure f150 build. I was thinking why not bring those ideas to a ranger. Build a capable ranger that can be a daily and still handle great on and offroad.

The whole premise would be to keep the ifs front suspension. But to use a long travel kit, like from Vegas desert racing fabrication. Also change the front diff to a different third member and match the rear to the front.
Would that work well as an all around multi purpose offroad rig? Rocks, trails, mud, sand, expo, camping, and daily?

Or would a solid axle swap be more feasible?

Thinking 95-2010 ford ranger, 4.0l 4x4, 35-37" tires (max)

Opinions?

Swamp_Nut14

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Credo?... what's that?
No one has anything to say about anything? Front diff? Straight axle? Ifs?

94tanner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
It's been done a million times, you're describing a pretty average socal pre runner/desert build lol.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Swamp_Nut14

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Credo?... what's that?
Yes I know it's a desert type build, but I mean transfer that to rock crawling. An ifs ranger rock crawler

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
change the front diff to a different third member and match the rear to the front.
I don't understand what you mean. What's wrong with the third member already in there?

Or would a solid axle swap be more feasible?
More feasible....maybe for some. I think a sas works when going really big tires.

Thinking 95-2010 ford ranger, 4.0l 4x4, 35-37" tires (max)
95-97 is TTB, 98 and up is SLA. Which would you prefer?

Swamp_Nut14

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Credo?... what's that?
I don't understand what you mean. What's wrong with the third member already in there?

More feasible....maybe for some. I think a sas works when going really big tires.

95-97 is TTB, 98 and up is SLA. Which would you prefer?
Nothing is wrong with the third member just wondering if it should be upgraded for tires like 35s. On a ranger I would probably go no bigger than 35. 98 and up most likely. Just trying to figure out expenses (but as a whole, not just for the parts but for reliability, daily driven ability and offroad ability)

Swamp_Nut14

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Credo?... what's that?
It seems like the solid axle swap is tried and true, but after seeing what the 2011 ultimate adventure ifs f150 can go, I am reconsidering my options

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
The lo-pinion D35 IFS diff isn't going to handle 35-37" tires well (and that's if you can keep the axle half shafts together). If you can figure out a way to stuff a F-150 IFS diff & half shafts under there, you might have something worthwhile, though it will be quite a bit of work. A solid axle is much simpler, but it definitely won't have the same ride qualities as the IFS.

IMO the TTB trucks lend themselves to what you're trying to do a lot better than the SLA IFS trucks do. For one thing the D35 TTB axle doesn't need much beyond u-joint & locking hub upgrades to reliably handle 35" tires.

Swamp_Nut14

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Credo?... what's that?
After reading and trying to wrap my head around what I am trying to do I decided to name it project trailrunner. It will be a daily driven weekend warrior long/mid travel 4x4 ranger. This is going to be a long process and should be an exciting build up. It's going to have the best traits of a trail truck, a prerunner and maybe an expo rig

The dream/end goal build specs
2004 Ford ranger edge single cab
Engine: 4.0 v6 or 5.0 v8
Front drivetrain: high pinion 8.8 Sla from f150 probably have to get custom shafts
Extended arms and coilovers for 12-14" of wheel travel
Transmission: manual 5spd or c6 with art carr winter shifter
Rear axle: 31 spline 8.8 (4link or leafs?)
Tires: 35-37 mud terrains (probably trail graps)
Rollcage
Spare parts and accessories:
Winch bumper
Led light bar
Off-road exhaust
Spare tire
Toolbox
Fiberglass fenders
Anything I can think of...

Right now I have a 2004 Ford ranger edge 2wd as my daily driver. I will be doing these upgrades little by little and adding accessories as I go along. It'll be stay 2wd for a while as I gather the parts to add the 8.8 sla to the front. I have thought of just keeping it a 2wd truck but I would like the 4x4 option especially traveling to different parts of the country and hopefully one day doing the 4wheel and off-road Ultimate Adventure. If you guys have any input please feel free

Mikerider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I took a similar direction with my build, low stable, lots of wheel travel, locker and LS etc

My truck started as a 2003 fx4 and now has a Dixon brothers LT kit with Denver G50 springs, flipped and dropped hangers. Torsen LS front diff, f150 8.8 rear with arb locker and mustang brakes. Running king shocks on all 4 corners sitting on 35x12.5 big km2 tires. The motor is supercharged with an Eaton M90 and a Moddbox kit. Then surrounded by c4x4 bumpers and modified rocky road supersliders.

Others have gone very similar routes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
with the amount of custom shops willing to do stuff, or even knowing a buddy with a cad porgram and a table you can have almost anything built these days. ive been reading about 14 bolt ifs designs.

ifs is getting way more popular these days, i mean my buddy has a 4 runner on 40's with a dana 60 up front, after riding in a few ifs 4 door pickups, hes now selling his runner, and building a 4 door colorado, with a home brew long travel ifs on 38's with lockers front and rear. his plan is to design and cut it out on a table. he figured with the clearance gained from the ifs that 38's in the snow will go where 40's do.

4x4junkie is right tho, theyve always said ttb trucks were garbage, but with ifs coming around you starting to see them used on the trails way more, as they have great benefits from both ifs/straight axle worlds, and are far cheaper than any custom sla ifs setup.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals