• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2008 Ranger XLT - Power Window "Jutters" going down...

ColSaulTigh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Greets, all!

I'm in the process of buying a 2008 Ranger 4WD XLT from a dealer, and there are two issues. One is the A/C, which they're dealing with, and the other is the power windows, which they say is "normal". I know it's not normal, since I've owned 2 Rangers in the past.

Problem: Both windows (Driver & Passenger) will "Jutter", "Stutter", or "Jerk" when going down, like they're sticking on something. If you apply outward pressure on them (push on the glass from inside the cab outward) they seem to go down just fine. Coming up there is no hindrance or issue. The problem ONLY seems to happen when they're going down.

The switches all seem to work fine, and I don't see any TSBs that directly address this kind of issue. Does anyone have any thoughts as to what it might be?

Thanks in advance!

masanders

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/75/15
My credo
Don't get louder, improve your argument.
Greets, all!

I'm in the process of buying a 2008 Ranger 4WD XLT from a dealer, and there are two issues. One is the A/C, which they're dealing with, and the other is the power windows, which they say is "normal". I know it's not normal, since I've owned 2 Rangers in the past.

Problem: Both windows (Driver & Passenger) will "Jutter", "Stutter", or "Jerk" when going down, like they're sticking on something. If you apply outward pressure on them (push on the glass from inside the cab outward) they seem to go down just fine. Coming up there is no hindrance or issue. The problem ONLY seems to happen when they're going down.

The switches all seem to work fine, and I don't see any TSBs that directly address this kind of issue. Does anyone have any thoughts as to what it might be?

Thanks in advance!

Maybe the tracks are dried out or the gears are crusty. White lithium grease spray on the gears and spray silicone lube in the window tracks.

If worse comes to worse you can get the regulator/motor assembly (or just the motor) plus all the screws/rivets at rockauto.com. You can also get a rivet gun (manual, not air) at Harbor Freight for cheap.

Just did my drivers side regulator...not hard to do at all!

Mark

2006 Ford Ranger XLT
2.3L
Long Bed
Flowmaster exhaust
K&N intake filter

She may not run 10's in the 1/4 mile...but she's my baby!

ColSaulTigh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Maybe the tracks are dried out or the gears are crusty. White lithium grease spray on the gears and spray silicone lube in the window tracks.

If worse comes to worse you can get the regulator/motor assembly (or just the motor) plus all the screws/rivets at rockauto.com. You can also get a rivet gun (manual, not air) at Harbor Freight for cheap.

Just did my drivers side regulator...not hard to do at all!

Mark

2006 Ford Ranger XLT
2.3L
Long Bed
Flowmaster exhaust
K&N intake filter

Thanks, Mark.

I'm having the dealership repair this before I accept full ownership of it (along with fixing the A/C issue). I just wanted to know what it might be before they try and pawn it off on me as "you bought it as-is".

masanders

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/75/15
My credo
Don't get louder, improve your argument.
Thanks, Mark.

I'm having the dealership repair this before I accept full ownership of it (along with fixing the A/C issue). I just wanted to know what it might be before they try and pawn it off on me as "you bought it as-is".

Smart move!

Mark

2006 Ford Ranger XLT
2.3L
Long Bed
Flowmaster exhaust
K&N intake filter

ColSaulTigh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Just to update the thread - got the diagnosis today from the dealer. They've ordered new window regulators to be installed. I take it back next Tuesday.

Now if I can get them to fix the A/C....

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals