• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

88 Ranger horn wiring

88stepside

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Replaced my wiring harness in my 88 Ranger extended cab and the horn connector is different. Original is two prong and replacement is three prong. The only difference between original and donor is donor was tilt steering and cruise. Original was not. I do not even see the availability of two different horn switches. Anyone else ever run into this? Any input would be appreciated.

Spott

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The difference is the cruise control buttons.

If the vehicle has a cruise wheel, then it uses the 3-pin connector. One wire is +12v (through a horn relay), another is ground, and the 3rd is "signal": it returns one of 5 specific voltages depending on which button is pressed, and the cruise module knows how to interpret those. If you push the horn button it connects the 12v horn relay coil to ground, the relay closes and the horn operates.

If you have the horn relay included in your harness, then hook the harness 12v (Y/LG) wire to one pin of your steering wheel connector, and the harness ground (BK) wire to the other pin of the steering wheel connector. Make sure that other end of that BK wire is actually connected to ground.

If you don't have the horn relay, find the connector where the horn relay belongs. Connect the Y/LB wire from that connector to one pin of the steering wheel connector, and the DB wire from that connector to the other pin of the steering wheel connector.

Here's a wiring diagram for both.

Last edited:

88stepside

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks Sport, great info. I'll have to dig into it more when the battery gets re-installed. Thanks again.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals