• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

91 explorer dash and engine swap 88 ranger

tenga

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
So I just finished up swapping in a 4.0 and explorer dash, got pretty much everything working except this issue. turn on the headlights and the voltage meter pins to zero, the tach stops working, the turn signal lights turn on and stay solid, and the high beam light goes on with the low beams on, and turns off when you turn on the high beams. Im stumped and havent been about to find a thread anywhere with someone have the same issue. Video included.

https://youtu.be/61dS4IalNAA

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Assuming stock Ranger head light switch and multi-switch(turn signal stalk) then I would pull the cluster and its connectors
test voltage at each pin with key on headlights off, also test which wires are turn signals and high beam using multi-switch.

Then turn on head lights and see which other pins are now active, you can cut these leaving enough wire to splice back together and see if you can find the wire that is causing the explorer cluster to goof up.

It reads like head light switch is applying power to a cluster Ground pin, volt meter with 12volts on each leg reads 0 volts and lights are grounded at outside bulb's ground so come on.
My feeling is it will be the dash light power that is on the wrong pin for explorer cluster, so with light switch on adjust the dimmer and find the wire/pin that has the changing voltage, that would be my first stop.

You could try turning dimmer to OFF then turn on the head light switch and see if cluster acts normally.

Wiring diagram for '91 explorer cluster would be handy, also '88 ranger, lol.

Last edited:

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Work hard and play harder
Definitely sounds like a grounding issue. Where I am not exactly sure. Like the almighty RonD mentioned, I would look at the light circuits first and step up or down from there.

RonD is a genius so he is pretty good at internet diagnosis on Rangers.

tenga

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
Assuming stock Ranger head light switch and multi-switch(turn signal stalk) then I would pull the cluster and its connectors
test voltage at each pin with key on headlights off, also test which wires are turn signals and high beam using multi-switch.

Then turn on head lights and see which other pins are now active, you can cut these leaving enough wire to splice back together and see if you can find the wire that is causing the explorer cluster to goof up.

It reads like head light switch is applying power to a cluster Ground pin, volt meter with 12volts on each leg reads 0 volts and lights are grounded at outside bulb's ground so come on.
My feeling is it will be the dash light power that is on the wrong pin for explorer cluster, so with light switch on adjust the dimmer and find the wire/pin that has the changing voltage, that would be my first stop.

You could try turning dimmer to OFF then turn on the head light switch and see if cluster acts normally.

Wiring diagram for '91 explorer cluster would be handy, also '88 ranger, lol.

Actually right now there is zero ranger wiring left except going to the tailights lol, swapped over everything. Good suggestions though. I was looking all over the diagrams but i couldn't see the connection between the switch and what's going on. I am fairly novice with wiring though.

tenga

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals