• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ford computers issues

Marty'70

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Not sure where to post this but I'm trying to get some info about Ford computers. Is there any way to make a Ford computers from a 96 Crown Vic into a stand alone system? If so where? Reason I'm asking is I'm looking at using the drivetrain into a project that is no where the same year and it was gotten for next tomnothing?. Thanks in advance and mods, if you need to move this to where it should be. Thank you.

Sent from my ASUS_P00J using Tapatalk

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ford used two main computers, EEC-IV 60 wire OBD1(1994 and earlier in Rangers) and EEC-V 104 wire OBD2(1995 and up, still in use)

They are both "stand alone" for the engine they are programmed for, they just need sensor input to do the air:fuel calculations

Some have automatic transmission software, and later models(1998 and up), had PATS(passive anti-theft system) which would be a pain to use in a project

Not sure which would be in 1996 crown vic but would think EEC-V with automatic trans software, and no PATS
If you are using the crown vic drive train, i.e. engine and trans, then should be plug and play for the most part.
It will need Speed sensor signal but that should be on trans in 1996.
Rear O2 sensor
And then 12volt power and Ground connections
Shouldn't be any "needed" instrument cluster(cab) wiring

Last edited:

Marty'70

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks Ron. I was wanting to put the whole shebang into a 49 F1.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks Ron. I was wanting to put the whole shebang into a 49 F1.

That would be cool.

They can look very bigblockish if dressed correctly.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Should be fine doing that

Good read here on the 4.6l Modular V8 engine: http://www.curbsideclassic.com/blog/engine-history-the-ford-4-6-liter-v8/

The EVAP system is an "emissions" system, so a priority system, for the computer.
It basically consists of a charcoal canister, a solenoid and a pressure sensor.

After startup the computer opens the solenoid which applies Engine Vacuum to charcoal canister, the canister has a hose to the gas tank, tank should be sealed when non-vented gas cap is used.
The pressure sensor will show negative air pressure as vacuum is applied to the sealed tank/system
Computer stops applying vacuum and watches if negative pressure holds
If it does then EVAP system passes the test, and computer will apply vacuum on and off as you drive to keep gasoline fumes, from gas sloshing around in the tank, from polluting our air :)

If pressure doesn't hold then computer turns on CEL(check engine light) and sets EVAP code

1996 computer will expect a working EVAP system, you can use parts from the Crown Vic system, solenoid and pressure sensor for sure because wiring connectors will match up, but you can use a smaller charcoal canister from another vehicle if the Crown Vic's is too big and looks ugly, lol.
You also need to seal up the gas tank

Not sure if the 1996 Crown Vic will also have a Purge valve as part of EVAP system?

Last edited:

Marty'70

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks again Ron. Was planning on an aftermarket fuel tank anyhow. Not much for riding around with 20 gal of gas 2" from my a$$. You're helping alot. Have bound some info on a bronco tforumn too. Looking to eliminate everything but what is absolutely necessary to run. Good to know about the eval system. Hadn't thought about that! Gonna be a long road but it'll be worth it. Not much into the electrical side to tell the truth. Will probably do more research than work for this project for sure!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I would imagine at some point you may want to have the computer "Tuned", for best power and to change shift points for automatic trans.
If/when you do then EVAP check can be deleted so you won't need that system.

All the computer would do is set codes and turn on the CEL if EVAP system wasn't there to test, it wouldn't effect engine operation.
You would run a Vented gas cap with no EVAP system

Last edited:

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
My son and I talked about someday building a car from scratch. I had researched (what I do most) custom wiring harness sellers. It just seems way less of a headache compared to trying to rework the wiring in a old vehicle and all the bells and whistles with today's tech are already accounted for. this is just one of the MFGs
http://www.painlessperformance.com/webcat/10123

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals