• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

‘02 F-150 wheels on ‘85 Ranger

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Using wheel adaptors how does it play out? Either the stamped aluminum 16’s or 97-01 ORP/Lariet ‘17’s

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Using wheel adapters how does it play out? Either the stamped aluminum 16’s or 97-01 ORP/Lariat ‘17’s
Ranger rims average 6mm offset; F-150 rims are 14mm offset.

Minimum thickness for wheel adapter to clear studs will be ~30mm, so you will increase track about 1"/side.

I don't have any F-150 rims to be able to say if they have "pockets" between the bolt holes which would allow you to run slightly thinner adapters - they make 1" thick adapters*, but unless you trim the stud, and maybe the lug nuts, the rim wouldn't sit flat on the adapter. And that is very bad.

* 1" adapters would add about 9/16" per side; but I get nervous about aluminum that thin.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I thought about the studs later.

I have been mulling a big road trip over for next year in the Ranger. My old MT's are in great shape but they are not really new and I don't know if I trust them that far from home. My F-150 dd will probably be due for new tires next year... so my scheme was to borrow the tires/wheels for the Ranger roadtrip.

Option B is to find some other sort of 16" rim that will flat out mount on the Ranger and then when we get back have them put on the F-150's wheels.

Last edited:

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I thought about the studs later.

I have been mulling a big road trip over for next year in the Ranger. My old MT's are in great shape but they are not really new and I don't know if I trust them that far from home. My F-150 dd will probably be due for new tires next year... so my scheme was to borrow the tires/wheels for the Ranger roadtrip.

Option B is to find some other sort of 16" rim that will flat out mount on the Ranger and then when we get back have them put on the F-150's wheels.
As long as they aint got grand canyon sized dryrots in the sidewall id run the hell out of them.

The tires that were on my 77 when i bought it were dryrotted/cracked so bad that when the tire shop broke the bead off the sidewall actually tore away from the bead.

I ran them 3 years that way, towed on them, everything.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
As long as they aint got grand canyon sized dryrots in the sidewall id run the hell out of them.

The tires that were on my 77 when i bought it were dryrotted/cracked so bad that when the tire shop broke the bead off the sidewall actually tore away from the bead.

I ran them 3 years that way, towed on them, everything.
Around here no problem.

The scheme was working out what would be required to drive 900 miles to the TRS trail ride next year.

Tires will be 10 years old next year, I don't want to have a blowout on the interstate 500 miles from home. But my tires are good enough to run around down here at fairly low speeds for a long time yet.

And my DD will need new tires next year anyway, the prospect of having new AT's for the drive out and back switching to my MT's if I take it on a trail was pretty tempting.

Dunno, still trying to figure out if it is even worth taking the truck out there. :icon_confused:

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Around here no problem.

The scheme was working out what would be required to drive 900 miles to the TRS trail ride next year.

Tires will be 10 years old next year, I don't want to have a blowout on the interstate 500 miles from home. But my tires are good enough to run around down here at fairly low speeds for a long time yet.

And my DD will need new tires next year anyway, the prospect of having new AT's for the drive out and back switching to my MT's if I take it on a trail was pretty tempting.

Dunno, still trying to figure out if it is even worth taking the truck out there. :icon_confused:
Thats why the good lord invented trailers :)

Be better anyways, kill the ranger on the trail youre really gonna have trouble getting home :icon_welder:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thats why the good lord invented trailers :)

Be better anyways, kill the ranger on the trail youre really gonna have trouble getting home :icon_welder:
The thing tows like a boat anchor which brings my then 17yo truck reliability into question for 800 miles of hard towing across four states with all the DOT's and whatnot. I have pulled tractors and whatnot that weigh half again more that don't pull nearly as hard... almost as if it isn't very aerodynamic or something. And then you have trailer tires/lights/wheel bearings and all that crap on a borrowed trailer to fuss over too.

I am trying to restore the truck, in years past they had easier trails for stock trucks. If we do that again it is the only way I would really consider taking it out. I don't want to tear it up.

The whole thing is kind of convoluted, I am still trying to figure out what to do.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals