• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

clutch for a 90 bronco2

90bronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
ok so i have everything off except 6 bolts and the clutch fluid line, i CANNOT get it off for the life of me and i dont want to unbolt it from under the hood and drop it with the tranny, anyone know how to get that fitting off i can post a picture if needed

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This stuck me for a little while too.The white collar slides inside and releases the fingers inside the joint.If this helps it's like the fuel lines but instead of a tool you use the collar on the line to hold the spring back.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
There is a tool in the clutch kit to release it. It's a metal bar with a notch and two hex holes. It's pretty crappy. I usually bend them before I get the line released. If you can find a similar thickness piece of metal and make your own that won't bend, that is a good bet.

I usually get 2 1/8" screwdrivers (about $5 a piece at Sears) and do it that way.

90bronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
There is a tool in the clutch kit to release it. It's a metal bar with a notch and two hex holes. It's pretty crappy. I usually bend them before I get the line released. If you can find a similar thickness piece of metal and make your own that won't bend, that is a good bet.

I usually get 2 1/8" screwdrivers (about $5 a piece at Sears) and do it that way.
so what exactally do you do with the scredrivers? push in that collar? haha im sorry im just so stuck and so close its aggrivating

90bronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual

welllll im pissed haha me and my dad were trying to push in that collar with the screwdrivers and turning the line so we could see the other side of the fitting, and the clutch line decided it wanted to break lol so do you know the name of that fitting so i can go get a new one?

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The female end will be part of a slave cylinder. The male end is part of a clutch line. neither are serviced sperately.

There will be a roll pin in the slave that you'll need to knock out so you can remove the fitting and get the old slave out now.

90bronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
The female end will be part of a slave cylinder. The male end is part of a clutch line. neither are serviced sperately.

There will be a roll pin in the slave that you'll need to knock out so you can remove the fitting and get the old slave out now.
whats the best way to get that roll pin out? wouldnt i just be able to slide in the sleeve, remove the fitting, and get a new fitting and clutch line?

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Small small punch and a few light hammer taps.

The new fitting is already part of the slave cylinder (which if you don't replace now while the trans is out, you will get to do in 3 weeks when it starts leaking).

The problem, as I found out last fall when I had to cut mine, is that it's a tight fit to the trans. If even the metal part of the male end is still in the slave assembly won't come out because it doesn't fit. And once you get to this point of not being able to get it out, the fingers are usually messed up.

Last edited:

90bronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual

The new fitting is already part of the slave cylinder (which if you don't replace now while the trans is out, you will get to do in 3 weeks when it starts leaking).

The problem, as I found out last fall when I had to cut mine, is that it's a tight fit to the trans. If even the metal part of the male end is still in the slave assembly won't come out because it doesn't fit. And once you get to this point of not being able to get it out, the fingers are usually messed up.
ok so i just got home from the shop, they had a slave cylinder (female end) but the male end was not with it. i ordered a hydraulic clutch line and am hoping the male end comes with it. do you happen to know the name of that male end?
haha its not even a tight fit it would never fit lol how hard is it to take apart the tranny to install the slave?

90bronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual

just got back from advance, again haha the line does come with that fitting but thanks for all the help i appreciate it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals