• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5 Speed Finally Went Out, What're my Options

65mechanic

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Truck Info: 1995 Ford Ranger 2wd, 2.3. 5 speed, Ext Cab, Std bed

What's goin on guys. For the past, lets say, 4 months the transmission in my Ranger has been screaming like crazy in 5th gear, I was expecting something to happen. Well yesterday, going around 55 in 5th gear, I shifted down into 4th to pass a car, went to shift back into 5th, and it wouldn't come out of 4th. It appeared to be in neutral, but was stuck in 4th gear. Had to burn the *(#^ out of the clutch to get it off the road. The truck's ODO had stopped working at 331,660 miles about 3 years ago so I'm pretty happy with how long the factory tranny held up.

I'm not sure rebuilding the factory transmission will be my cheapest option sooo, looking at car-part .com and such, I found plenty of good transmissions from various years, but I dont know which ones will match up with no fitment issues. So, I suppose that's my question, what year 5 speeds will match up to my truck? Let me know if I need to provide you guys with any more information. Thanks!! :icon_thumby:

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You can use anything up to 1997, IF you want the speedometer to function.

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/speedometer.htm

If you don't care to have a working speedometer (rely on your GPS for example), then you can use anything up to 2000. I believe the 2001 MY started the 2.3 Duratech, which may have a different bolt pattern.

Somebody more knowledgeable should reply about that bolt pattern change.

65mechanic

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You can use anything up to 1997, IF you want the speedometer to function.

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/speedometer.htm

If you don't care to have a working speedometer (rely on your GPS for example), then you can use anything up to 2000. I believe the 2001 MY started the 2.3 Duratech, which may have a different bolt pattern.

Somebody more knowledgeable should reply about that bolt pattern change.
Awesome, thanks man. Would you know how early I could go? I'm looking at a 1990 and a 1992 5 speed in my area.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You can go as early as 88.

65mechanic

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You can go as early as 88.
Awesome. Thanks guys. Plan might be changing with the truck. Might be buying it from my dad for close to possibly $200, lol. So I may throw a 4wd transmission to get the truck driving and do a SAS eventually. I'm assuming any transmissions from 88-97 will work? And I would assume the clutch/pressure plate/release bearing/starter/etc will be the same? I think the only things I'll need are the trans crossmember, driveshaft for the correct length truck, speedo cable, and a hole in the floor board. Correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks in advance guys.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You are wrong.

Only a 2.3L or 2.5L Lima transmission will work. 4x4 transmissions for those engine are rare.

Also, since you already have the M5OD you would not have any reason to change the trans cross member unless it is damaged.

rboyer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.hoe
Transmission
Manual
I should probably chime in and mention that you can use a transmission from after 1997 and retain your speedometer if you swap over the speedometer gear and tail housing from your original transmission. Not that big of a deal really either. Search around a little, there's plenty of info on this forums regarding these transmissions. Three things I would consider a requirement before installing an M5OD are shift rail plug replacement, shifter bushing replacement, and disassembling and cleaning the transmission. No matter how pretty it looks on the outside it's still not worth the risk of installing a live grenade underneath your truck and having to do it all over again.

rhekman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
I agree with rboyer. I'm in the process of swapping over the guts from a 2000 2.5L 4cyl into the M5OD-R1 backing my 4.0. Finding a 98-2000 4cyl 2wd Ranger or Mazda transmission in a junkyard with relatively low miles shouldn't be out of the realm of possibility. Then swap the tailhousing. Make sure to get the shifter with it. Better synchros, slightly improved shifter angles, all relatively bolt on.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals