• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1994 fuel guage

swamprat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have a 1994 ranger 4.0. Bought a few years ago and for the most part sitting in garage. When bought it had a bad flex plate and I have been converting to 5sp. Conversion is done but when I start the truck the gauge goes past full. Key off it is on full then goes fast full key on. The tank has just a few gallons of gas in it. Is this a guage or sending unit problem? Read other post on checking ohms but my wire colors dont match so dont know which ones to check. Pretty sure it worked when bought the truck. This is the last thing I need fixed so I can drive it.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The fuel gauge wire is disconnected somewhere, or ungrounded.

1989 and up gauge/sending units use (empty)16-158(full) Ohms

0 ohms = short circuit so gauge would show below empty
1,000,000,000 ohms = disconnected so gauge would show above full

Fuel gauge uses a 5volt Pulse power supply so it won't read on volt meter.

There should be 4 wires coming from the fuel tank
1. Fuel pump power(12v), usual wire color Pink/black stripe
2. Fuel pump ground, usual wire color Black

3. Gauge wire, usual wire color Yellow/white stripe
4. Gauge ground, usual wire color Orange

If yours don't match these colors then some one has rewired the fuel tank and that could be the problem, Ford used these colors for years and years.

If there are only 3 wires then some one has combined the Ground wires which is OK, BUT......their splice may have come apart so sending unit ground was lost.

Gauge wiring is like this:
5volt pulse------Gauge in dash----------(yellow/white)--------------Sending unit in tank--------Ground

The gauge needs the sending unit's ground or it will show Full all the time, if you Ground the Yellow/white wire gauge will show Empty all the time

swamprat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have the cab off the frame sitting on 4x4 wood blocks between frame and cab, ground sounds about right

Last edited:

swamprat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I followed the bundle of wires running on the drivers frame to the inner fender. It splits into two connectors, looks like a 16 pin and maybe a 4 or 6 pin. can I test it here? Didnt really have time to work on it, Checked some grounds under the hood and under dash to see if I had left something loose after swapping pedals assembly.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals